Wasp spray that works

Last night, went to check out some wasps at the church. Some how, they got into the primary room. One of the boys had been stung, indoors. Not good. Find a 1/4 inch or so hole, where the vinyl under the eaves meets the wood that's on the side of the masonry building. Plenty of wasps coming and going.

This appears to be the new style of wasps, they burrow in. The older model of wasps nest on the surface.

Got out my can of Ultra Kill ($3.49 from Lowe's) and give the building a good squirt. The last cans I had (Real Kill, from Home Depot, bought them on close out) the wasps would drop out of the air. This Ultra Kill stuff was useless, the wasps hardly seemed to notice.

Time for me to go to the farm and garden store, and see what they have. What brand of spray works for you? And what store sells the good stuff? I'd like stuff that drops wasps out of the air, kills the nest, and they don't come back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I use Ortho (Basic Solutions) wasp and hornet spray. Long distance stream. Have to get it out each time I wash windows because wasps like to build at the top of the window and behind our hurricane shutters (accordion style). It never fails me. Wasps seem to like to build nests anwhere they are sheltered from elements.

Reply to
norminn

So, Ortho works? I'll look for it. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know how many flavors Ortho has; reason for including the "Basic Solutions" logo. Good luck :o)

Reply to
norminn

Spectracide Pro Hornet and Wasp Killer - found at 'Depot. Works well, near instant drops, and high dielectric rating so it doesn't short out electrical stuff.

Reply to
Pete C.

gasoline drops wasps on contact. no ifs, ands, or buts.

Steve Barker

Along the same lines, I use a spray can of carborator/throttle body cleaner. They drop from the sky when hit with it.

It doesnt shoot a stream 20 ft though, so I usually end up running like hell.

Reply to
dicko

One recent poster suggested gasoline...

Reply to
HeyBub

Heck, if dropping a flying bug is all you wanna do, use a can of hairspray. Gums up their wings, they drop like a rock. Stomp on 'em or sweep them up. Safe to use indoors and around kids. Just won't do a lick of good if applied to a nest.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Isn't that why the contractor used it in the guy's walls, a couple weeks ago? That led to some hearty discussion. I'm guessing the church discourages people spraying gasoline into the walls. But, that's just a guess. They had a hissy fit when we brought in some hay bales for a country dance.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd forgotten about that. I'd have to get up on a ladder, and use the red extension tube. But, it's a great idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Before you spray flammable and volatile liquids on a building (eyeroll), maybe you should simply wait. Many wasp-killing products take a little time to work.

Reply to
mike

I bought a different brand of spray. The maint group is supposed to be at the building today, maybe they sprayed, also.

If we still have wasps in a couple days, I may try the carb cleaner.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My first choice on wasp, bees, hornets etc... is always Sevin dust. I can dust it directly on them with out disturbing them. You don't have to get it on them, just get where they set down and can come in contact with the dust. A few will carry enough dust into the hive to kill it.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

+1. And it's non-flammable!
Reply to
mike

I used to use WireDry. It was an automotive spray for spark plug wires and distributors. Any insect is instantly immobilized with it. I was amazed. It must dry their wires.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

That sounds excellent for flying insects. But, there are many more, bored into the wall, and nesting under the vinyl.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...and everyone has forgotten the many uses of WD-40. (Can be used with optional match/flamethrower) I have used it many times on wasps.

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

I say, look for a wasp-&-hornet spray with high percentage of petroleum distillates. These have less ability to linger compared to other insecticidal ingredients, but if you get the nest soaked with that stuff then the nest's residents will probably kick the bucket in anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours. Larvae and pupae in the nest may take a few hours croak.

Insects getting a major direct hit with petroleum distillates (or organic solvents in general) tend to get pickled in anywhere from a few seconds to about a minute, to the point of being intoxicated to death.

Even "rubbing alcohol" and the whatever 151 proof booze wil kill within a minute insects being bathed in such stuff.

Just beware that some petroleum distillates and many organic solvents are flammable, and that liquids that are combustible but not flammable are flammable in mist form.

Also beware that organic solvents including petroleum distillates can mar some finishes, and a few organic solvents (such as acetone, MEK and "aromatic hydrocarbons" including turpentine) can even mar plastic object surfaces.

Don Klipstein

This does remind me that WD-40 appears to me likely to work, when it remains suitable given concerns of flammability and ability to mar some surfaces.

Keep in mind that WD-40 is a mixture of various ingredients that take various amounts of time to evaporate, possibly including eternity (though my experience using WD-40 on bicycle chains indicates otherwise).

Don Klipstein