Glass cleaner that actually works?

Often the problem is with machine car washes where the windscreen is sprayed with wax as part of the final process. Screen wash additives tend to work better once this wax is removed from the glass.

Reply to
alan_m

isopropanol is usually abbreviated to IPA. An communication error could lead to best bitter being used to clean a windscreen

Reply to
charles

*non-scratch* plastic pot scourer... And yes a spot of washing up liquid on a non-scratch scourer is good for the outside and inside of a windscreen.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yep, guaranteed way to end up with an opaque smeary mess of traffic film and dead insect when the wipers are used the first after a few weeks of idleness in summer.

And shifting the wax can be a right PITA. Can't see the point in washing a car, it'll only get dirty again. Not to mention stood out in a gale with accompanying rain pressure washes it anyway.

Salt? Well maybe but the quantity fo water sprayed about underneath from a pressure washer is nothing compared to the road spray from a wet road...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or a slightly damp non-scratch scourer, spot of washing up liquid, dipped in the white powder wood ash. I don't use this scourer on the windscreen...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Windowlene.

Reply to
harry

Windolene.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

assuming that the wet road has no saltt and is enough to clear the mud

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can still by ammonia is some old-style hardware stores. Be careful using it inside, it can ruin the silvering on the rear view mirror.

Reply to
DJC

underneath

In which case there really is no point in washing the car.

If there is mud how does the salt get behind it?

If it can't and you remove the mud. Salt will be trapped behind any new mud that collects.

If it is carried in by capillary action, salt free water will also be carried in by capillary action.

Car's aren't the rust buckets they used to be. Not that long ago if a

5 year old car didn't have rust bubbles in the paintwork there was something wrong with it.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

its in some supermarket glass cleaners - read the small print windex is one glassex is another

But many say that its not the best thing to use on windscreens

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

mud is not waterproof. I think they are putting something in the water. I have never heard so many stupid things as lately

jesus wept

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

It never ceases to amaze me of the number of cars (of mainly German manufacture) lined up at the local hand car wash spending £10+ to get their car nice and shiny, when it's still raining and the road outside is covered in mud.

Other than keeping the car's glass clean, it surely is one of the most unnecessary and ecologically wasteful activities around. I clean the glass when it gets dirty. Other than the glass, I clean the car twice a year, or perhaps three times if I've absolutely nothing else to do and it's really filthy.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

On 14/01/2020 11:08, Sn!pe wrote:> Tim Watts snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote: >

I was wondering about IPA. Do you find it OK with the daskboard plastics? (some's bound to drip on)

Reply to
Tim Watts

On 14/01/2020 12:29, whisky-dave wrote:> On Tuesday, 14 January 2020

10:50:50 UTC, Tim Watts wrote: >> Is there any available? >>

I've heard that - it was a British thing in ye old days, apparantly.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have you tried a brick?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

It appears ok with the plastics BUT the problem with second hand cars is that the plastic may have a coating of a cosmetic cockpit shine product that may be dissolved when the IPA splashes on to it.

Reply to
alan_m

It may depend on how you park your car on a regular basis. When I was working and required to wear semi smart attire it was a PITA to park in the works car park with small parking spaces to get out of the car and lightly brush up against a dirty car transferring all that muck to ones dark trousers. As it was the same for all employees most kept the outside of their cars clean.

Having just returned from a break from a rural part of the country where there is a lot of mud on the wet roads the lower part of my car has changed colour. The storm last night has removed none of the dirt (or not enough to be noticeable).

Reply to
alan_m

It's pretty safe on most plastics. Once of the safest things to use on electronics, where you can find all sorts of plastics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you treat your house the same? Never hoover and dust? Doesn't matter if the outside of the front door or other piantwork is filthy? Or just leave all that to the wife? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)