Well that actually works better than expected

Going back to the cleaning up re-used bricks thread, I tried a lash-up to turn an angle grinder into a table mounted tool:

John Rumm

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null writes

Very good. Have you stopped coughing yet?:-)

I suppose a 300mm disc might fit a bench saw you happened to have lying about?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I had my mask on, since even with all the collection (and the air cleaner running) I was not expecting it to be clean!

(I might add a bit of ducting under the table to point the output straight down to where I can have a bucket of water to intercept it. I will have to see what its like when out in the open, and which way the wind is blowing)

The only bench saw I have now is my venerable 10" Delta Unisaw made in

1948... and the thought of filling that with masonry dust does not bear thinking about given it has survived this long running well and true.
Reply to
John Rumm

Nice. I'm thinking of copying this for cutting steel.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Well that is something I have never done (yet) with an angle grinder. I particularly liked the simple fabricated adaptor on the handle to make clamping mechanism.

Reply to
newshound

To be fair it would probably be a bit more elegant using a bolt rather than the side handle, but I have not got anything in stock with that size (just under 14mm) or pitch (even if it does mean assembly is tool free. Alas you have to do it in situ on the workmate since you can't get the AG though the opening in the workmate when fitted to the table.

Reply to
John Rumm

Used it in anger yesterday, and got a hundred or so bricks cleaned up in about an hour... then I had no edge left on the diamond disc and no spare in stock, so waiting for SF to deliver some new ones, to get the last 50 so so cleaned up.

So the wall fell in a couple of large sections. So I attacked that with a SDS Max drill to separate out the bricks (broke a few, but not too many). That left a big pile which I lobbed back on the patio:

After using the saw on them, I got a nice pile of mortar/brick dust:

and a pile of bricks:

(I managed to cut most cleanly - one or two I ended up taking off a sliver of brick as well - so those will need a slightly thicker bed of mortar to put back!)

Reply to
John Rumm