DIY pen plotter

It's not very practical, unless the practice is artistic in nature, but someone here might like this: <https://www.brachiograph.art .
Daniele
On 14/01/2020 20:48, D.M. Procida wrote:

It has a certain charm.
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 16:26:13 +0000, newshound

Clever and imaginative IMO.
--

No deal? No problem! :-D

On Friday, 17 January 2020 18:45:37 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Yes. I wonder why the print quality wasn't better.

Mainly: several degrees of hysteresis and dead-band errors in the servos, torsion and tendency to non-parallel movement in multiple parts of the mechanism, and generally, the fact the the whole thing is made of ice-cream sticks and a clothes-peg.
Daniele
On 19/01/2020 10:16, D.M. Procida wrote:

I built my own A2 pen-plotter in the late '80s. One stepper motor driving a toothed belt, moving the "head" along guide rods (all from a defunct printer). Another stepper driving a shaft with home-made knurled wheels to drive the paper back and forth (clamped between the wheels and rubber wheels). A solenoid to lift and lower the pen.
The steppers were driven by LM-298 H-bridges (IIRC), which were signalled by a Motorola 6821 PIA, with address block decoding by a 74LS138 and all connected to a Sinclair QL's expansion port.
It worked pretty well, but was soon made redundant by access to an HP-7475A 6-colour pen plotter.
I did ask my parents whether the home-made one was still in the loft recently, but they'd had a clear out.
SteveW

No respect for monuments.
Daniele
On Sunday, 19 January 2020 10:16:55 UTC, D.M. Procida wrote:

:)