Chipboard Worktop

Out kitchen has laminated Chipboard worktops. (My wife'e eysight wasn't compatable with the granite ones)
The butted joints were probably not sealed as well as they should and some slight swelling is becoming noticable.
I was wondering if a solution could be to route a shallow groove and then fill it with an epoxy type filler.
Any thoughts?
On 14/01/2020 10:46, John wrote:> Out kitchen has laminated Chipboard worktops. (My wife'e eysight wasn't > compatable with the granite ones) > > The butted joints were probably not sealed as well as they should and some > slight swelling is becoming noticable. > > I was wondering if a solution could be to route a shallow groove and then > fill it with an epoxy type filler. > > Any thoughts? > Perhaps route, but brush silicone sealer well into the groove then top off conventionally whilst still unset, for a finished seal?
Tape along both edges will ensure a neat finish and remove when wet.
I sealed a hob cutout once in chipboard by smearing silicone around the cut face. Seemed to work and the chipboard is so rough that the silicon seems to really bind.
On 14/01/2020 10:54, Tim Watts wrote:

somethoig that soaks in is better. polyester resin.
--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

SBR would probably make a nice job of that - penetrates and stabilises very well.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 14/01/2020 14:29, John Rumm wrote:

I was wondering that - just wondered if silicone would bind to that, when finishing off?
I was surprised when I did that hob cutout, that the silicone seemed to sink in slightly into the chip.
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 11:47:05 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Or varnish. Used that on the exposed edge of a bit of chipboard worktop in the "temporary" kitchen. No sign of any wet penetration and this is adjacent to a sit on sink unit so gets wet fairly frequently.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Is it under warranty?

No - and I wouldn't want it replaced - too disruptive.
I think a case of the builder thinking he could fit a kitchen but had never read any instructions (as most never do)

Replacement is not the only option under a warranty claim.

Claim against the builder? Should you not be speaking to the builder first to see what he is prepared to offer?
On 14/01/2020 10:46, John wrote:

that will work, yes. save money and use car body filler. (polyester) You can get pigments for polyester resins too
However consider new worktop altogether. It's not very expensive.
John wrote:

You can get colour matched fillers for worktops
<https://colorfill.co.uk/product/colorfill-single-with-solvent-and-applicator

Yes - it it had been installed properly using that then I wouldn't have a problem. I am hoping it is possible to create a groove to cut away the lifted laminate and fill with that or similar
John wrote:

How wide a groove are you talking about, how much 'pattern' is there within the laminate?

I think any groove filled even with a matching filler will stand out like a sore thumb especially if there is any pattern in the top surface. Your best option of keeping the existing work top is to separate the two pieces and try to scrape out any expanded chipboard and gently pressing the top surface back into position before filling any gaps Even doing that I think the success rate will be very low as melamine top surfaces are quite hard and brittle and will tend to crack and chip very easily.
Richard

Have you discussed the problem with the builder before criticising his workmanship? Maybe the issue is mistreatment by the user.
On 14/01/2020 10:46, John wrote:

If going the routing route, then I would see if you can get a matching strip of laminate for the worktop (most of the sheds do them so you can cover cut edges etc). Then using a made up jig and guide bush, you can route a slot wide enough to cover the join. Change the bush, and route the exact matching infil bit. Paint the exposed chip with SBR to seal it. Finally glue in the patch with impact adhesive.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 10:46:09 UTC, John wrote:

Sure. Whatever you do though, laminated chipboard always swells & breaks up in time.
NT

That’s bullshit. Mine hasn’t in 45 years, still as perfect as it ever was.
On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 21:51:36 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

t as it ever was.
either that's bs or you've got the sought after 1 in a million. Knowing you ...

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.