Charging your car at home.

Remember some friends buying a house with built in garage in a posh part of Aberdeen. Built in the 30s. Biggest current car it would take was a Morris 1100 (the FWD type) And even then the passenger had to get out first.

My parents had their garage built in the 50s. Big enough for any family car and wide enough to open its doors too. Pretty rare then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Friend of mine was building a kit car, so built a big garage, with pit. I'm pretty sure its plan area was bigger then that of his house. You can just about see the edge of it behind the house.

He has since moved to a place with much more space.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

These days, light sensors for each or group of lights?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, at 14:17:39 on Thu, 19 Mar

2020, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> remarked:

Yes, around the Millennium I bought a house about 10yrs old which had a very generous double garage. With just the one door, although many of the houses in the same development had two single doors.

All had room for an additional four cars on the drive (2+2 side by side)

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, at 14:49:12 on Thu, 19 Mar 2020, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> remarked:

Yes, they generally have a completely separate supply (from the households) in effect a 13A extension cord from one lamp-post to the next, and next...

Reply to
Roland Perry

Article about a Maida Vale Street with chargers in the lampposts:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned

Reply to
Robert

Camera photo and picture to the wiki?

Some of us like to see this s**te.

Reply to
ARW

Paywall; but other publications reveal they've converted 24 lamp-posts to "overnight" chargers. That's around 750amps. For whatever reason, those lamp-posts are not connected to the local substation in the normal way.

Reply to
Roland Perry

If they blocked you ON your drive, you could have got the police to deal with them, but if they stopped you from getting onto your drive, then the plod wouldn't help.

Reply to
Andrew

But it might stop the water from dodgy downpipes making a damp patch on your front wall :-) (assuming the pavement was sloped towards the road).

Reply to
Andrew

Because your campervan is parked most of the time on your own drive ?. Or two cars owned but only space for one on the drive ?.

Reply to
Andrew

When the silver contents of the shilling is more than 5p today :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Yes the "spare" capacity in converting to LED lighting mentioned comes nowhere near the 5.5kW taken by each charger.

Apologies in that the article requires a Times Subscription to read fully. Glad you found another source. The relevant paras are: "All charging equipment is housed within the post and motorists plug in vehicles to a powerpoint. Charging wires are locked at each end, meaning that passers-by cannot disconnect vehicles. The 5.5kW chargers typically take eight to ten hours to charge a vehicle.

It is designed for slow charging rather than the far more powerful rapid chargepoints that can power up a battery in only half an hour but require a significant upgrade to the supply.

The project, carried out with Ubitricity, an energy company, and Westminster city council, forms part of a wider introduction across the borough. In all, 296 lampposts have been converted in the borough,

Cedrik Neike, of Siemens?s Smart Infrastructure, said: ?Half of London?s air pollution is caused by road transport.?

Reply to
Robert

ah - Seimens - mainly responsible for the Crossrail delay and the grid failure last Summer.

Reply to
charles

At our previous house, built 1987, the garage would hold my family-sized Primera estate and my wife's Micra.

Adequate, but barely.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I remember viewing a 1930's house where the garage door was visibly narrower than the estate agent's Audi TT. Had probably been built for something about the size of an original mini, like an Austin 7.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Bullshit. Nobody runs their battery to depletion or anywhere near. Ergo charging takes much less time than that.

Reply to
harry

One solution to people parking in the street when they have drives/ garages is the solution many US towns/ cities use- restrict the time a car vehicle can be parked in the street even in residential areas away from town centres etc. Typically the rule might be 3 days limit or no parking between midnight and 6 am. Some areas even stop you keeping unused/wrecked cars on your drive etc. Keeping a camper between trips would be fine, keeping and old junker for spares or and old van for storage would be a problem.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It is the width that is generally a problem, but that is dictated by having much thicker doors to make them safer in side impacts.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message <409UC81N+ snipped-for-privacy@perry.uk, Roland Perry snipped-for-privacy@perry.co.uk> writes

Opposite problem here. The garage is behind the house, and the doors (pair, side hinged) have a reasonable width to them. However, there are gates across the drive, level with the front of the house, which have a gap of 6ft. How many modern cars would fit through that gap ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian