Charging your car at home.

I have a double garage. I measured the new car. It's too wide to fit either side.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <xrB* snipped-for-privacy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 14:21:43 on Tue,

17 Mar 2020, Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:

Not so clever when you have a 60A main fuse.

A big maybe.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <r4snge$bov$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 08:52:29 on Wed, 18 Mar

2020, michael adams snipped-for-privacy@ukonline.co.uk> remarked:

It includes anyone with the householder's permission.

Reply to
Roland Perry

It doesn't help that many so-called double garages are just two single garages joined together - ie they still have single-garage apertures and separate doors, with a huge pillar between, rather than a double-width aperture and door. I suppose the advantage of two singles is that the doors are not as heavy (though any reputable garage door should have its weight almost compensated by springs or counterweights) and they can use two shorter RSJs rather than one longer RSJ - at the expense of losing the advantage of having a double garage.

At my last house, there were two garage blocks, allocated to different houses in the development. The other block was fine, but my garage was barely wide enough to fit my car (a Peugeot 306, so not as wide as many cars) and the doorway was about 20 mm wider than the car on each side, which made it almost impossible to drive the car through without the risk of scraping the side of it. One guy had an old-style Mini (ie not the modern BMW clone which is wider) and he was the only person in our block to use his garage for storing his car, and he said it was a tight fit.

If the builders had added an extra metre to the width of the garage block (*), it would have widened all the doorways by 250 mm - enough for the garages to be usable. As it is, they were used as overflow loft space.

(*) There was space between the end of the block and the access road to do this.

Reply to
NY

Change the door to a big up and over.

Reply to
charles

Provided your ?tails? ( the cables from the incomer (main cable) to the meter and meter to consumer unit) are 25mm, the power company will upgrade you to 100A free.

There is a page on the website, you pop in some basic details, book a date, someone turns up, does the swap, job done. Unbelievably efficient.

The two chaps who did mine were great, they commented on my earth bonding, which led to an interesting chat re how much of they work was involved in changing earths to PME and a few other things. Even did an Earth check. All for a cup of coffee and chocolate biscuits.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Better still, an electric roller door. Much more convenient.

Reply to
Brian Reay

What's being talked about AFAIAA, is the section of public road on which the concession the Council makes in allowing people to park their cars on the Councils property is suspended by way of a parking restriction. What anyone does on the householder's side of the dropped kerb is, as you say, the householders business. This has been a hot topic* in my locality of late with tradesmen attempting to park their vans on the empty drives of properties with dropped kerbs, in areas covered by extensive parking restrictions.

michael adams

michael adams

When I moved here, over 30 years ago (1), I thought that the nice large garage with sliding segmented door would be great.

However, when I checked the measurements, it wasn't long enough for my Volvo 240 :-(

(1) Only stayed for 2 years

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

A drop kerb without a drive behind it wouldn't stop people parking. The council won't allow a drop kerb unless it accesses a drive.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Think of a row of terraced houses that front directly onto the pavement. A drop kerb would be nonsensical.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The mention about dropped kerbs is an example of when householders get some rights over the street outside their house. I'm saying that, with sufficient legal approvals, another instance could be where someone in a house without a drive could feed a charger in the street from their own electricity supply.

Optionally that space may be made available to others through a public charging scheme. Then it isn't 'private' in any sense. Just like you can get a disabled parking space outside your house in certain circumstances - for use by any disabled people.

The issue is there isn't sufficient wiring in the street (lampposts etc) to power many charging points. My suggestion is to use the nice 100A feed that's only a few metres away in the house.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I may have to do that, but that means some mind of structural strengthening of the lintel

May just knock it down and put in something else

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Convert the front room to a garage. Problem solved.

Reply to
charles

This is the crux of the problem. How does a builder remove two short lintels/RSJs and the brick pillar between the two narrow doors which is supporting one end of each lintel, and install a longer lintel which is supported only at each end and not in the middle, while continuing to support the courses of bricks above the lintels?

I realise that you use acroprops to provide temporary support while the short lintel is replaced by the full one, but you need to slide out one end of the lintel and then get the acroprop in before the courses of bricks above start to "bend" into the gap. Rinse and repeat all the way along as the old lintels are gradually removed, and then reverse the process as the new lintel is inserted in their place.

I meant to watch the builders who did this when they inserted a new doorway into the brick/breezeblock wall of our house, but I forgot, and by the time I remembered, they'd already done it.

Reply to
NY

In message <r4teuc$5j5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 15:31:12 on Wed, 18 Mar

2020, NY snipped-for-privacy@privacy.invalid remarked:

It's actually a planning rule, because they think that garages with two doors like that look less industrial than ones with a single massive door.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <r4th6t$me1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 16:11:08 on Wed, 18 Mar

2020, michael adams snipped-for-privacy@ukonline.co.uk> remarked:

But people with the householders permission can ignore the "no parking across the drive" restriction.

How easily that can be policed by a random passing traffic warden is a different debate.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <r4th35$5la$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 16:09:09 on Wed, 18 Mar

2020, Brian Reay snipped-for-privacy@m.com remarked:

There was no other fee? I've been advised that upgrading the tails is something *I* need to pay for.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Really? So you are forced to have two doors which are too narrow to accommodate many modern cars safely, when a single door with no central pillar would allow both cars to enter with ease? A triumph of aesthetics over usefulness. That's a real bummer. We were planning to get the two chocolate-teapot doors replaced with one big one that was actually useful.

Our house has (effectively) two double garages at right angles. The garage that faces the road has two single doors which are fairly narrow, whereas the workshop (the previous owner did his own car maintenance) which is at right angles has a double door. I wonder if the difference is due to planning regs and the fact that the double door can't be seen from the road?

It would be better if you were forced to have separate doors for the pillar to be made non-load-bearing and as thin as possible, so as to make the width of each door as great as possible while paying lip service to the rules.

When did the rule come in? The last house that I've seen with a double door was my parents' house that was built in 1972, which is a good while ago.

Reply to
NY

I suspect thast it is one local authority's view. Contact your local planning department - if there's anyone still left.

Reply to
charles