Amazon fire TV for peanuts

As it looks as if we will be stuck at home for a while we went looking for a new bedroom TV to replace the sony bravia ....I had no idea TVs had become to inexpensive !...got a 40 inch JVC amazon fire smart TV with Alexa for under £300 !!!....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The FireTV function is good but, to get the best out of it, you need to add some apps etc. We have a couple of Firesticks, we take one away in the motorhome in case of poor weather etc, and have a couple of media servers, one of which we take away. By using Kodi ( an app you can load on the Firestick) we can then access video library.

The Amazon Prime Video library selection isn?t wonderful in my view. There is the odd thing but, all in all, think of the second/ third rate Tapes which used to fill the shelves of places like Blockbuster. There are some old film gems, if you like those.

Netflix is much the same.

Both Amazon Prime and Netflix require a subscription, not a lot but a subscription.

Reply to
Brian Reay

What is the picture quality like? I had the impression Bravia's usually have a great picture whereas JVC is distinctly less good.

Reply to
Pamela

And ones without Alexa for £400? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No TV ever made has 'really good' sound. Near adequate to poor is more like it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I?ve had no problems with speed. I started with Wi-fi but added the Ethernet adapters as I prefer to have fixed things on Ethernet.

Even on Wi-fi it was fine.

Reply to
Brian Reay

:-)

So long as it can truly be disabled and still work sufficiently, then possibly acceptable. But I simply do not want Alexa.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Video streaming is in general 2-5Mbps. I have had trouble on wifi at 5Mbps.

Even 10Mbps ethernet will be fine and most people have 100Mbps Some have gigabit

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But would you really want to buy a JVC telly ??

Reply to
Andrew

Think is it's one of those things I manage OK without. And looking at the nasty lash ups people end up with to get voice control is something I couldn't bear looking at here. If doing so on a new installation, possibly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I?ve got a domestic 4G router in the MH. In good signal areas Fast.com reports 40M or so at times. In poor signal areas it drops to 3G sometimes and slower speeds, sometimes below 1M.

Generally I?ve noticed it needs between 4 and 5M to maintain Video from Amazon, which ties in with your comments.

You can, of course, download films to a tablet ( such as an iPad) via the Amazon app. The files are about 250M for a episode of Picard (45 mins I think). I think there is an app to display iPad video on the Firestick (well the TV ) but I?ve not tried it.

I?ve not noted the performance of Netflix in similar conditions- I don?t use it much.

Reply to
Brian Reay

But will it last for at least 13 years ?. This is how long my little Sony 17 inch LCD tv lasted. CRT TV's seemed to go on for ever though.

Too soon to tell.

Reply to
Andrew

Problem is the AD on catchup only seems to work on ch 5. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

A little more money, and a little bigger.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris