now is the time

The country should now start to manufacture things again and ban all imports from Chinky land....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

We manufacturer a lot of stuff, but putting together small fiddly stuff like cameras, phones, video recorders etc etc is where the obedient, nimble-fingered (young) asian people have an advantage. And they are cheap because there are LOTS of them.

Plus there is the work ethic, or lack of in this country. Why bother when you can bang out 3 or 4 kids and live off the taxpayer.

Ask Adam if his apprentices would be able to assemble stuff or work repetitively for 9 hours a day ?.

Reply to
Andrew

And, apparently, China has lots of old people too. So not quite sure what point you're making?

Plus the fact that the vast majority of these things are largely machine assembled anyway.

It's not the workforce who decide what is and isn't made here. I'd have thought that rather obvious even to you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They still have huge numbers of young people, and you missed the word 'Asian' which includes Malaysia, South Vietnam, Thailand and other places in the region where very high-tech manufacturing is done.

Oh yes it is. Why do you think that Ford gave up making cars in the UK?

Poor quality and productivity. Ford car workers gave their jobs to people over in Continental europe.

Reply to
Andrew

Oh really what should we do first? Condoms, as there is predicted to be a spike in births and divorces for that matter next year!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

You'd have to ask them. Nissan and BMW seem happy making cars here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whwn Nissan built their factory in Sunderland, they trained all their employees from scratch, in the 'Japanese way'.

They made a point of NOT employing ANYONE who had previously been in any way connected to the UK car industry.

Reply to
Andrew

And BMW chose the Midlands - and used plenty existing car industry workers.

Nissan had little choice since the motor industry was new there. And they chose Sunderland due to government incentives.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Sadly the Imp wasn't made from 1" steel plate, so the workers never really got the hang of it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because the workers were always on strike for money and less work.

Reply to
ARW

Should have said "more money"

Reply to
ARW

If breast feeding did not carry on until the age of 16..........

Reply to
ARW

I rather liked it. Had a pal with one which I drove often. Beautiful engine and box, and quite decent brakes. What was needed was to combine the best bits of it with a Mini.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really do need to read up about the history of industrial disputes at Ford UK.

Some of the management at Dagenham were Barking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The interesting Imp I came across had a 1.6 Lotus Cortina engine where the back seat should be.

Reply to
charles

It was very good at Hill Climbs

Reply to
charles

There used to be a Mini with a Rover V-8 in the back - but still front wheel drive. It wasn't. Good smoke generator, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There used to be a drag racing, classic, Fiat 500 ... with a V8 in the back.

And I found a video of a Fiat 126 with one in the front:

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker