Changing house name ( OT).

Or, in some cases, with your clothes off! (seen Vanishing Point, the original?)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have to say that it's never appealed at all because of all of the heavy clothing required to reduce the effect of falling off. Seems it would be too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer

Reply to
Andy Hall

Me neither, but I did become a volunteer 'Star Rider' instructor. Fairly recently it's become necessary to do 'Compulsory Basic Training' before you're allowed out on the roads at all.

I haven't ridden a bike for about ten years now...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Modern bike clothing is much more comfortable, lighter and more protective than the waxed cotton/tarpaulin of yesteryear :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I don't remember using that phrase, and as to why the system should vary, I'm afraid I have no idea. I'm not employed by Royal Mail, and can only describe how things work in my own small corner of the world.

Prior to moving here, I lived in Hertford, and the last 'fee' parcel I received there was delivered by Parcelforce. The driver gave me the parcel, and I gave him a cheque for the import duty and clearance fee.

We do here.

Complain to Royal Mail, formally. Seriously. Far too many people today just don't bother to make a formal complaint about anything, so nothing is done. I'm not suggesting that one complaint will change the world, but I am suggesting that enough complaints will eventually make someone listen.

Reply to
Graeme

I don't know - I don't :-)

I'm an Englishman abroad.

Reply to
Graeme

I would, happily, but to whom?

I wouldn't have a problem doing that and do when buying any goods and services that don't met expectations.

However, when I do so, I always consider a set of factors:

- Chances of getting the problem fixed for me now and in all cases in the future

- Time that will be taken to pursue to achieve that

- Out of pocket costs to pursue

- Will somebody be held individually accountable and take action?

- Amount of money involved

- Remedies. i.e. can it pursued in court if necessary

- Is it public sector or equivalent?

- Do I have alternatives for the future?

When I score this exercise using those criteria, an encounter with RM over their lack of service concerning international package delivery scores pretty low. I can't see any factors on my list where I feel any confidence of that. Nonetheless, I'll enter a complaint on their web site and see what they do.

I looked at Postcomm, but that seems to be yet another toothless tiger quango. For example, In cases where RM chooses not to deliver because of some exception, an appeal to Postcomm can be made. However, there is no requirement for Postcomm to respond in any particular time.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm saying they're not that great in London - for the individual. For businesses where they collect bulk it's probably a different matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IIRC, the problem here is with UPS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Part of it was with USPS (United States Postal Service) as opposed to UPS, who are a professional courier firm.

The tracking system of USPS showed no information on the package for some weeks. Eventually, nearly a month after delivery and two after the original shipment, the product supplier was able to obtain a tracking record from USPS. It did exist. That showed that for most of the time, the package had been in the RM system. I have asked RM about it and they have been unwilling to obtain more information.

I've entered details of RM's shortcomings in a complaint on their web site and also provided a copy to Postcomm.

I am not holding my breath for a response.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No the second. This is the first

Mark

Have you been on it?

Is it a requirement to take a change of underwear?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes in both the Hunter and the Lightning

You do risk losing body fluids from both ends :) and with the Lightning, your bank account also haemorrhages at about £10 a second. But it really is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

-
Reply to
Mark

Problem. I don't know. Just had a look at the RM web site, and it is a disaster. No address given. The only ways to contact RM are by telephone or e-mail. The e-mail option requires a lot of personal information. I'm not surprised - the only way RM will accept job applications now is on-line. Even potential sub postmasters have to apply to the PO on-line.

Getting back to an earlier subject, i.e. you standing in the rain having paid 60p parking, you may like this little story.

A lady in my area received a letter from Parcelforce last Thursday, advising her that an incoming international parcel had arrived at the main depot, 50 miles away from here. The letter advised that duty of about forty pounds was payable. Lady phones Parcelforce, pays fee by debit card. Parcel arrives in my office around 06.30 Friday, and is delivered to one happy customer later that morning. Cannot imagine why your local crew cannot work in that manner.

Note, though, that the above is not always the case - sometimes the parcel arrives in my office prior to duty/fee having been paid. Should that be the case, I can only accept payment by cash or cheque, as the PO system does not accept debit card payments for RM or Parcelforce. However, there is no reason for the customer to come to the office - the posties are perfectly happy to accept the payment, which they bring to me. I sent the parcel out, with a receipt. Easy.

Finally, please don't think that I'm an apologist for any part of the RM Group. I spend most of my working life banging my head against a brick wall :-)

Reply to
Graeme

There's always the registered office, as given on the web site. This is the whole group, but still...

Royal Mail Group Ltd

148 Old Street LONDON EC1V 9HQ
Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Bob Eager writes

Yes, that would work, eventually. I have various RM booklets - I'll look for a 'Customer Services' address tomorrow.

Reply to
Graeme

Needless to say, I have not received any further comment to my recent complaint. I'll allow a few more days and then rope in the regulator.

Reply to
Andy Hall

After, presumably they've paid the salaries, rent and business rates and statutary insurances USW, USW, USW ...

You've already stated (in a different thread) you wouldn't work for an employer (Like the NHS) who would charge you for car parking.

How is that not "Cherry Picking".

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

It is indeed a bit late now, but computers did not arrive in a delta function with zero time.

Anyhow it may not be totally impossible, if the change happened all through the community they could be expected to support each other.

Why, maybe a local village electronic post office could be set up to print out the emails and local volunteers deliver them to the old and feeble (Such as myself ).

opposed to

The Post Office recently closed down in our village after 150 years. We can't understand why with modern vehicles and postal sorting machines we can't have what our forefathers had 150 years ago, but it must have been the case that the post office was not doing enough postal business to justify it's existence.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , Graeme writes

Postcomm list addresses for complaints for all licensed postal operators.

For Royal Mail it gives:

Royal Mail Customer Services FREEPOST

20 Turner Road St Rollox Business & Retail Park Glasgow G21 1AA

Customer service tel: 08457 740 740 (Monday to Friday: 8am - 7:30pm, Saturday: 8am - 2:30pm)

Reply to
chris French