car boot sale sockets

just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......
On Monday, 12 August 2019 08:38:39 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Usually it's the live and neutral ;-)

no...this is a single hole just under the earth above live and neutral .....well two of them
On Monday, 12 August 2019 13:03:50 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

for an indicating neon?
Owain

turns out it is for fixing to a single paten box to give you a double socket .......
On Monday, 12 August 2019 14:15:18 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
Owain
In article <d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken, etcetera ...
Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra £2.86 seem well worth it.
--

Terry

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.
--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

That might not matter if it isn't in plain sight.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 16:52:48 UTC+1, charles wrote:

Or if, like in my study, all the sockets were singles and they all (well, both) got converter-ed to doubles.
As one had three imperial conduits running into the box, cutting out the box for a double wasn't an option.
Owain

It would matter to me. ;-)
--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Change them all.

That does not matter in Terry's case. It's hidden behind a table. It only took me 2 minutes not 5 minutes to fit it. Although I did actually charge him for five minutes work:-).
--
Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

Don't worry - I've got a good memory! :-)
--

Terry

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.
Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

He's Scottish
On 12/08/2019 20:09, Andrew wrote:

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.
--
Adam

Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal the screws after fixing . If he didn’t get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.
GH