stupid RBS

Last few times I went on Internet banking with RBS they want to send a one time code to my phone......well this morning the phone is out in the car so I can't check my account.....very annoying you would think with three sets of numbers and letters to input to get to there that would be enough security .....
On 12/08/2019 08:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Not really, no. That is why all banks have been instructed to move toward two factor authentication.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 12/08/2019 10:02, John Rumm wrote:

STWNFI has this issue but she doesn't own a mobile phone!
Mikle

the bank should provide an alternative means
tim

free phone free phone free phone......now now now

they should offer the alternatives of:
sending the code to a land line (obviously in an audible form)
or by providing a remote device that generates a one time code (obviously by some mechanism unique to you and known to the bank)
tim
On 12/08/2019 13:55, tim... wrote:

Many banks already issue card authentication devices that could be used for this type of task.
--
Cheers,

John.

but I don't think that any are proposing using it for online purchases
it makes what is supposed to be a generic interface, used by every holder of an "anybank" card, too clunky
(For those of you who don't have one, it requires you to be told what reference number to enter into the machine, the other methods of verification don't require that)
tim
on 12/08/2019, John Rumm supposed :

and they are suggesting that as an alternative.

As a matter of interest, I recently pointed out to Paypal that I don't have a functioning mobile phone most of the time (all the time at home) and they said to forget about 2FA "for now". Watch this space, I suppose.
--

Roger Hayter

On 12/08/2019 10:39, Muddymike wrote:

Had to google that and still no wiser. Anyway whatever it is you could always get another one :-)
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 12:27:42 +0100, newshound wrote:

It's STWNFI - She Than Whom None Fairer Is

so what does she do ? ....

That’s why they hand you a free little gadget if you ask for one.
Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :

Money Dashboard and/ or an Iphone with fingerprint/face recognition.
All the banks are upping their security levels.
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 15:32:31 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Some German banks are ceasing SMS for this as it's too easy to spoof - IP Spoofing? GB, of course, is just starting - what could possibly go wrong! Anyway, it's all to reduce liablity for the bank and pass blame to the victim. </conspiracy theory>
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

actually