Can anyone tell me why this isnt complete bollocks

Dunno, I have just watched "Air Crash Investigations : Deadly Discussions" where the clowns flying the plane ignored the warning that they had not deployed the flaps for takeoff and ended up killing themselves and 60 pax.

Either that or export it.

Reply to
Jack James

Must explain all those convertibles I see driving around with the hood up on a nice day. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

First car UK car I saw with central locking was a Rolls-Royce. They called it an anti-hobo device. To prevent a 'hobo' opening a door in a traffic jam. ;-)

If such a thing is desirable, best to have it happen automatically.

But on most modern cars with this feature it is selectable in software.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Online is needed to check balance/credit limit.

Reply to
Max Demian

The moat usual thing is to export the car to countries where there is little or no law enforcment and cooperation with other countries police etc systems. Not the EU, obviously.

If you get your way the UK will become one of those countries. Beautifully unregulated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's a UK car vehicle (RHD) it could well end up in one of the West African ex-colonies.

Reply to
charles

Not quite as drastic as the anti-hijacking systems they use in the likes of SA. ;-)

If it is, I guess so.

That would make sense.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don't see any harm in it myself, only activates at 15-20mph and unlocks in the event of a crash, but as you say it can be disabled if you have a reason to dislike it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Those drivers choose to do that. I don't. Especially since it would be a disaster if I got something in my eye - instant inability to see the road!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The fact you see them driving around almost proves that they're being driven almost exclusively by poseurs.

Convertibles are fine in scenic places with open roads and very little traffic. In towns they're driven by the exact same sort of people who sit at pavement tables outside of cafes drinking coffee maybe 10 ft away from the exhaust fumes of all the passing traffic.

michael adams

michael adams

OK, I can see why some might like it and I might tolerate it if it also (had the option to) automatically unlock itself when stopped. ;-)

I don't want to have to do anything 'extra' to get out of a car when I want to and am more than capable of locking (all the) doors if I feel the need (hit the drivers door button).

But then I / we ride motorbikes and so are used to being 'exposed'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Your answer if you live in a town is to stay indoors, then? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Assuming you take the keys with you when you leave it, mine also auto locks after a short period. If you've forgotten to do so. I think that preferable to forgetting to lock the car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It doesn't happen. You get (virtually) no wind in your face etc. Oddly, unless you have a 'baffle' to prevent it, you can get a draught on the back of your neck. I drove a soft top for 18 years and don't recall ever getting anything in my eye.

If it starts raining, you tend not to get wet until you slow down / stop. The wind over the windscreen 'deflects' everything over your head.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It's far more of a problem if you wear hard contact lenses as I do.

But you're not really much more likely to get something in your eye than just walking around.

And as you've said, a decent convertible is designed to keep the wind out of your eyes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but when it blinds you, the consequences are more serious when driving.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You don't need a convertible for that. I was driving along with the windows down and a bee got stuck between my glasses and my eye. Fortunately he didn't feel threatened and sting. The driver behind wondered why I had braked for nothing.

Reply to
dennis

The more useful one is to decide if only the drivers door unlocks on the first press.

Reply to
dennis

They unlock as soon as you pull a door release on the inside so its not even noticeable if it happens.

Reply to
dennis

When someone opens the door and nicks your/wifes/girlfriends handbag from the seat you will understand.

Reply to
dennis