Can anyone tell me why this isnt complete bollocks

The transceiver isn't emulating a key, it is boosting the key's own signal to fool the car into thinking the key is closer than it is, so yes they can.

Maybe the crimmos down under haven't figured it out yet ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And the scanner has to be very close.

Richard

I bet it will start if you hold it against the outside of a window.

Reply to
dennis

Yes there is. With a rolling code system, whatever the thief has captured is no use later.

Reply to
Jack James

They don't capture it, they "repeat" it live to the car ... in theory they could use the spare key at your house to open your car parked at the airport ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But a lot more hassle than picking up a keyless entry code. Needs the key holder to actually operate the system, before the code can be captured.

And getting into the car isn't going to help much anyway. You could do that by smashing a window. You'd still need the correct key with security chip to actually start the car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have watch some of those Police down under TV shows and I love the way they have so many / alternative words that end in 'o'.

The most blatant being 'Bottle-o' ... and 'rego', 'servo' and 'ambo' plus the others that don't but are possibly unique to Auz like 'carby', 'bingle' 'troppo' and 'ute'.

The funny thing is hearing their Cops use such terms. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's a bit more noticeable

AIUI they pair their own key as an extra one for the car

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is this whole keyless entry / start a solution to a problem that didn't exist?

Our Meriva / Corsa have a std remote fob / key transponder where the first opening button press unlocks just the drivers door (stops people hiding down the passenger side jumping in) and a secondary press unlocks all the doors / tailgate etc.

I think if you don't open a door within a certain period of unlocking it locks all the doors again.

So, do keyless entry cars not have a mechanical steering lock?

With the 'std' keyed solution you can't get into the position of the passenger getting out with the keyless card in their possession and I don't think it can be hacked (I'm guessing it could be scanned to give someone entry but that still wouldn't bypass the need for an ignition key to defeat the steering lock (FWIW etc) or the transponder) as easily as the keyless system.

I guess the only 'good thing' with keyless entry is that with some cars you can also open the tailgate / boot with a wave of your foot that could be handy if you were carrying stuff.

You still need a hand free to pull a door open so it's not an advantage there (unless you have gesture triggered auto doors as well)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But it is trivial for the car to use the response time to check if a transponder is doing it.

Reply to
Jack James

Read it again: There is no capture. This is a live link.

This will get the car opened and started.

My car will keep running without the key (but it will moan). Cracking the car to program a new key is a separate problem but one that can be done at leisure.

However, none of this matters if they just want to rob the contents, nick the car for a use'n'dump (eg getaway car) or break it for parts.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes - like curved TVs and stupid phones with wrap around the edge screens. Making things worse by "solving" a problem that didn't exist in the first place.

My old MINI has the best idea - you clip the key in a holder on the dash.

Reply to
Tim Watts

To do that, you need access to the car and the correct software.

They'd either have to have the original key to get a new one cut - or full details of the car to order one up from the maker's data. And then programme it to the car.

(since I was discussing the older systems, not keyless)

Of course anything can be done. But the Jaguar/Land Rover keyless system seems all too easy to clone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup.

By 'old' do you mean to your / BMW Mini as my mate has one of those where you push the key into a hole in the dash?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think so, my car doesn't have keyless entry, but it does have keyless start, I don't see the point, it just leaves you having to decide what to do with the keys other than put them in the ignition ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

IMHO, yes.

For the truly paranoid. ;-)

Yup.

They may have one, but if it is controlled by the same transponder in your pocket that is so easy to clone, not much point. A traditional one requires a physical key.

Well plenty vehicles have motorised tailgates, so why not doors too?

I'm usually a bit ahead of gadget makers. The 'wouldn't it be nice' syndrome. Which also means I can't really see the point of some of them.

So often they tend to end up being a compromise between what's really needed and what can be achieved at a price. Like one of those things that can play music for you on a voice command. Where the audio quality is distinctly average.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thieves seem to manage both of those

How many cars use mechanical door/ignition locks? Even without keyless entry and without keyless start my previous car just used the 'plipper' to open doors and had a slot to push the key into ... the actual cut key was basically for emergencies.

Reply to
Andy Burns

current car is keyless start, not keyless entry, has a solenoid based steering lock.

previous car, not keyless at all, had a slot (rather than a mechanical lock) that you pushed the transponder key into, and as well as solenoid steering lock, it also wouldn't let go of the key until the ignition was off.

prior to that all my other cars had actual mechanical ignition locks.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Leave them in your trouser pocket or handbag where you would keep them when you weren't putting them in the ignition switch of a car that didn't have keyless entry.

Keyless start may have a very small benefit. *Automatic* keyless unlocking of doors (unless the user can disable it, requiring a manual press of the button on the key) would seem to be a very big hijacking risk, especially for women on their own, and also a risk of opportunist theft from the car as the owner first comes into range.

Reply to
NY

If I've got my big bunch with me, it's uncomfortable to shove them in a pocket while driving. It sounds finicky, but after decades of getting into a car, I automatically have the keys in my hand ready to do something with them ...

Mine isn't, so I don't know what the range is on keyless entry. I have the car set for one press to unlock driver's door only, two presses for passenger doors.

Reply to
Andy Burns