Call me scrooge

The two beggars I mentioned earlier were dressed in noticably new clothes and had developed a taste for Starbucks frappucinos that I felt were too overpriced to get for myself.

They seemed fit and healthy. I wonder why they were wandering around during the day when they could be attending job interviews or a training course.

People have travelled across Europe and put up with the squalor of the Calais jungle and the dangers of hopping on a lorry just to get a chance of being on our benefits system.

Reply to
Pamela

Some of the gold coins shown filling your TV screen are no bigger than a UK 5p coin. The scrap gold content of these coins is usually 50 to 60% of the selling price (assuming you are quick enough to buy before the price doubles to what it normally sells for)

I wonder if you tried to use one of these coins in the country where they are "legal tender" they would be accepted by the average shop/bar/hotel.

This coin collector market just cashing in on what is (used to be) a domain of the postage stamp producers. The Channel Islands seemed to produce a new set of commemorative stamps every other week which usually included some of the high value (£5) stamps. This was for the collectors market and I doubt if more than 1% were actually used to send any mail (Maybe used to send a first day covers where the stamps used cost 20x the normal postage rate)

Reply to
alan_m

The mag is tediously boring to the extreme, so I just slip her a £20 and invite her to buy a copy for herself.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Those that arent just work illegally and that?s very easy to do given the very low unemployment rate. Or do crime which isnt surprising given that they clearly couldn?t care less what is legal.

Reply to
Swer

I'll call your 15 and raise you 41, and after 41 years of yoyo dieting am now 3 stone heavier than all those years ago. :-(

Unfortunately the only time that I had a rapid weight loss,

3 stone in only 3 months when I wasn't consciously dieting, was the indicator that diabetes II had arrived, the glucose all being pissed away instead of being absorbed as excess fat.

Your other comments (deleted) about the latest NHS diet are intriguing. Could you cite a reference, please?

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

I dunno.

I'll see it there is anything on line - wait a nmo

Understand that was a preis of a fat(sic!) book and 10 hours of talks to date. A lot of which is A level biology+ stuff. That I could barely keep up with even in principle and went over the heads of the rest of the participants.

What really struck me was excellent though she is., all my GP said was 'lose weight'

This lot told me how and exactly why and that weight loss per se was not the solution. It was reversing insulin resistance caused by nothing more complicated than eating too many carbohydrates.

Lose the carbs and you wont be snacking and starving and reaching for more carbs.

And ALL the things we were told about a 'good' diet were in fact WRONG.

Meat is very good. Fat is very good. Butter and dairy is very good. Fruit is pretty bad unkless ist impossibly sour (lemons) and so are root vegetables. Potatoes sweet or otherwise, carrots, parsnips - lots of roughage and some vitamins but lots of sugars and starches too.,

Cereals are the spawn of the devil. Probably should be banned.

Nearly all processed food is high in carbohydrates to make it taste nice. Low fat yoghurt has way more carbs than full fat, to make it taste nice after the yummy and harmless fat is stripped out.

-----------------------

OK I have got the data for you. The courses a re being RUN by 'healthier you' (they daren't say diabetes) that seems to be funded by the NHS but is an outsourced thing - a lot of that in the NHS these days.

Their web site is

(no www)

If you are in one of te trial areas, you can get yoiur GP to refer you.

Howver if you are reaosnable intelligent you dont need te course, you need the statistics and research summaries on which it is based and a bit of will power and that is contained in a booklet called

"X-PERT diabetes, prevention and management (blood glucose control)" , which is published by

Has a picture of the book I have, and another one.

It looks like they diont give away or sell the book, but you can attend one of their courses.

What seems to be happening here is that the Xpert lot are a CHARITY that are funded oo do nutritional RESEARCH and they published the results in a book that is part of courses given by profit making NHS funded healthchare.

I.e the academic and training is the XPERT charity and they license or sell material to some courses given by NHS sponsored companies.

OH FUCK ME.

I just googled the ISBN and lo, they DO sell this book for a tenner.

Not obvious from theur website

Try it out. Its only a tenner.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All noted, thanks, and book ordered (through Amazon)

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

It sounds like someone is pushing the Atkins diet!

Reply to
alan_m

Its close to atkins, but it works from a different point of view. Its not strictly a weight loss ketosis type diet, its managing carbs to manage blood glucose levels.

The weight loss is to be taken as a sign its probably working BUT the real target is glucose levels.

The main thrust they were talking about is to get levels down

*sustainably* - i.e. a crash diet followed by relapses is not good.

So whereas Atkins concentrates on ketosis and fairly quick weight loss,. the approach here is to find eating patterns and diets that make you feel good, control glucose and insulin levels (because they are low carbohydrate) and you can live with forever.

If you slowly lose weight, good. But that is not the point.

I am not advocating it as a weight loss diet.

its there to get people thinking about glucose levels understand the damage that carbohydrates do, and be informed about food constituents.

Not knowing what is in this book has probbaly robbed me of more years than smoking ever did.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The one cereal product to be recommended is Kellog's All Bran.

How do you ensure a steady flow of poo at the rear end? Feed granulated poo in at the other :-)

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

She is legally employed. The benefits system tops up her meager earnings. She doesn't care how many or few magazines she sells.

harry

Why not just flush the All Bran directly down the bog and avoid overloading your digestive system? Same with sweetcorn as that usually passes through unchanged.

Reply to
Max Demian

One basic idea behind keto is that it takes excess calories AND carbohyrates to put on weight. Lose the carbs and you can eat all you like - other than carbs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don?t lose the carbs and I don?t snack or starve and don?t reach for more carbs.

I have a massive great slab of my own multigrain toast and marmalade with nothing to drink at all for breakfast, eat and drink nothing till the main meal at the end of the day which always has some carbs.

Have always been in the ideal BMI range and don?t have diabetes.

Reply to
Swer

Doesn?t explain why diabetes is a recent epidemic when people used to eat a lot more carbs in the past than they do now.

Reply to
Swer

Possibly the historic intake of carbs wasn't coupled with a general population being grossly over weight. Henry VIII showed the classic signs of having uncontrolled diabetes.

I'll buy the book and see what it has to say.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

Yep, the line that carbs are the cause of type 2 diabetes clearly can't fly.

But apparently wasn't into carbs very much, he used to gorge on meat mostly. Another problem with the claim.

I?d want to see some proper double blind trials reported in the peer reviewed medical journals before I would buy the claim.

Looks very much like just another unscientific claim so far.

Reply to
Swer

I'm rather sceptical about the claims.

The general advice I've always been given is to lose weight and more exercise. I was criticised on my last yearly checkup for not eating breakfast (something I haven't done for the last 40+ years). I was advised to eat a bowl of cereal with maybe a portion of my 5 a day intake.

Possibly the meat/fat diet may be a aid to sustained weight loss for those who have difficulty in the past.

My local NHS diabetes service offers free membership of Weight Watchers for X weeks and free gym membership for the same limited time. The catch with the latter is that the gym in question will want to sign you up afterwards with a 1 year contract paid by DD.

Reply to
alan_m