Call me scrooge

Actually because they would have recovered anyway.

You havent established that all else has failed.

Reply to
Swer

why are you such a stupid twt?

Reply to
tabbypurr

So it wasn?t ME te3lling him what he ate in his childhood, f****it.

Corse it isnt when we were discussing why we didn?t see the current type

2 diabetes epidemic in the past when they ate all those carbs, f****it.
Reply to
Swer

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Swer

BTW if you want a blood glucose monitor with cheap test strips then look on Ebay for "CodeFree"

The NHS may supply you with a blood glucose meter but for pre-diabetes or type 2 they are likely to severely ration the test strips. With the meter I was supplied with its around 50 test strips per year and in the past any repeat prescription have been cancelled.

A Codefree kit (meter, 10 test strips, 10 lancets)is around £13. 50 replacement strips cost around £8. I usually use the lancet (finger pricking) more than once before changing it. The test strips required for meters the NHS supply are often 3x this price.

Note Codefree meters come in two flavours Flavour 1 gives the measurement in mmol/L (units as used in the UK) Flavour 2 gives the measurement in mg/dL (units as used in the USA) If you order the wrong one the conversion factor is 18 mg/dL = 1 mmol/L

Reply to
alan_m

It is.

low exercise high carbs

It is just te result of the latest scientific reareach with many research papers to support it, but you are in denial as usual Rod

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thaks for that.

However looking at amazon it apperas that many people are reporting wildly inaccuarate readingd with these simple monitors

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have compared Codefree with two other brands supplied by the NHS and all three gave similar readings for effectively the same blood sample(s).

I do random checks of perhaps a couple a week but sometimes, say, 4 times in a day to see glucose levels on waking and before and after a couple of hours after a meal. These meters will give you some indication of how long after a meal the level falls to what is considered to be an acceptable level and perhaps the fasting values (no food for 8+ hours during sleep).

I do wonder if people are washing their hands using a normal bar of soap before pricking their fingers to get a drop of blood.

Soap rather than gels/liquids which often claim citrus extract and other exotic ingredients etc.

Also, washing hands immediately before testing rather than just after slicing a bananna into the breakfast cereal.

Reply to
alan_m

Mmm. It strikes me that you seem somewhat selective about which of the "latest scientific research" with its "many research papers to support" you choose to believe.

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

Reply to
tabbypurr

Reply to
tabbypurr

if you're not selective you'd believe any old junk

Reply to
tabbypurr

Book arrived toady and I've had a browse through it.

X-PERT Diabetes Prevention and Management (Blood Glucose Control)

If new to diabetes (type2) it has a lot of useful information and very much better than some other books I have on the same subject.

There are some very useful tables and descriptions of what the results of a blood test mean. If you have access to your medical records with respect to blood tests you will/find that the ideal range/limits are already included with the results.

The main underlying message is to lose weight (maybe starting with 10 to

15kg), take more exercise and change eating habits. They suggest a low carb diet as a method of maintaining weight loss but do say this is not the only approach.

There are around a dozen pages in this 160 page book for the reader to fill out as a diary.

There are little snippets such as stating low fat products may actually be worse for diabetes as the manufactures have replaced the fat with sugar etc. to replace the lost flavour.

If nothing else it has reminded my of some of the things I should be taking more care with and over the years I have lapsed back into some bad habits.

Reply to
alan_m

In general the ones where the data fits the hypothesis.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is there some part of "scientific research" and "research papers" that you don't quite understand?

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

Easy to claim.

No evidence that the exercise is any lower than in the 60s pr the level of carb eating is higher than in the 60s either.

Plenty of evidence of the obesity epidemic since then.

Odd that you couldn?t provide even a single example of one. The one you waved around wasn?t even about type

2 diabetes and only involved a sample of 16 juveniles.

If it had been established using rigorous science it wouldn?t just be be implemented in a few isolated instances in just the NHS.

Reply to
Swer

I did

a randomn sample from the ones quoted in the revuew

It isnt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not one that was relevant to what was being discussed you didn?t.

Nothing even remotely like random in fact.

That?s what your original link said.

Reply to
Swer

No. Having read enough of them I know that most are at best junk.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr