Buying small items on eBay - grumble

[...]

There can't be much call for an extension cable that doesn't extend very far!

If you are looking for easy access to a USB 3.0 port located at the back of a tower, I heartily recommend one of these:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks - I had seen that, and wondered... Nice to know it is good.

My specific issue is that I have a backup drive with a very short integrated cable. Which is too short - it is awkward to find somewhere that the drive and lappie can sit comfortably together whilst in use. The integrated cable is very stiff and will not allow the twists required in some locations. (When not in active use I can find somewhere.) A longer cable will simply get in the way!

My partner is also an avid user of short USB extension cables - 20 cm ones are ideal for plugging into an iMac to make the USB sockets more usable - and so you can see the activity lights on USB sticks and plug in/remove readily. With the sockets being hidden behind the monitor, that is not usually easy.

She also finds it useful for her sewing machine. There is one USB stick it uses that is somehow special (think if it breaks she has to buy a new one at some inflated price). So a very short extension cable allows her to avoid most of the wear and physical damage that USB sticks are prone to.

Reply to
polygonum

I recommend getting a wired Apple keyboard. They have two USB sockets in, as well as having all the keys and no batteries.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

Understood - but for some very important reasons, a wireless one is required.

Reply to
polygonum

Reaching a bit, but there's no technical reason not to have both! There may be other reasons, of course.

I've got one five-headed cable (actually a hub) coming round from the back of mine, it has two USB female sockets and miniUSB, microUSB, and an ipod connector. Got it from dx.com ages ago, they don't seem to have it now or I'd give the URL.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

It depends whether you're in a hurry or not. Sometimes I don't want to have to wait more time for a replacement to arrive. My son got two electric train sets instead of one for this reason.

Reply to
Mark

Amazon marketplace is pot luck; there's an even mix of good and terrible sellers. Feedback isn't always accurate either.

Reply to
Mark

I recently bout a laptop screen form a company in Manchester. I did an online search using the original part number and came across one on laptopscreenonline.com for a reasonable price, as this was known as a CCLD screen as against LED for the same model number of laptop.

The prices between them varied by up to £70, so £53 looked a good deal. I checked the part number, rang the company up to check it was what I wanted, yes it was so I ordered it.

3 days later it came, and I started to inpack and fit it. The connections were different, and when I looked at the part number, that was different also.

So I sent it back, and emailed them quoting sale of goods act. I also sent them a recorded delivery letter, again quoting the sale of goods act and I expected a full refund plus consequential losses. That was the cost of me sending the wrong screen back.

Reply to
Bob H

Did you first not try phoning them to see if they had just made a mistake? Before going in all guns blazing? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not having a wired keyboard is a reason! Especially as all Apple devices are relatively expensive. :-)

Have quite often had two or three keyboards and/or mice attached to various Windows boxes - can be very convenient.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes I did phone them up as soon as I realised it was the wrong one. I was told by a female that the correct screen was £145, so I asked why was I told that the one I ordered and querried before I ordered was the right screen for what I wanted. She then put the phone down on me.

Reply to
Bob H

I've a pair (in different locations) of the USB2 ones, and would agree with that recommendation.

I use mine to reduce the strain on a laptop's USB socket so that for days at a time the machine's socket has the extender plugged into it; all sorts of things are plugged into and unplugged from the extension socket. I also like the way that the socket stays where I leave it, because of the weighted part.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Great, a one port hub :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or as I prefer to think of it, a USB extension cable that stays where I put it!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

With a 5 foot cable. I just bought some 8 inch USB cables because the regular ~1m ones create an untidy tangle.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah - not surprised you got stroppy, then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had one on my desk fro years. It's actually quite useful.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I stuck a 16GB SD card in mine and installed Ubuntu with /usr (I think it was) and /home on the card. It runs well enough for the tiny little thing that it is.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

Yeah, I'm just too lazy and/or apathetic to do the same.

:o)

Reply to
Huge