Thin acrylic glue

Any suggestions for a thin fluid solvent based acrylic glue to mend some damage on a largish 5cm diameter Perspex pipe for a science demo.

The end got bashed and it would be expensive to replace. The repair must be waterproof and preferably clear and same RI as perspex.

I am tempted to try petrol or pet ether and hope that the end of the crack doesn't run. Basically I need a low viscosity solvent glue that will go into the fine crack by capillary action.

Most acrylic glues feel too thick for this job. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Chloroform. You can weld perspex with it, so if you run some into the crack it should weld it closed.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, chloroform should do it. The viscous perspex glue is often made by dissolving perspex in chloroform. Avoid acetone at all costs - it will make the perspex craze.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

+2
Reply to
newshound

Dichloromethane (methylene chloride) (the active ingredient in old paint remover.

Reply to
F Murtz

Use a solvent, not a glue

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Any easy way of buying this - as modern paint removers don't do what they say on the tin...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used this on clear acrylic preety good stuff but expensive.

whisky-dave

Predominantly methylene chloride as suggested by another poster. Should be fine (don't inhale!)

Reply to
newshound

r-51-p.asp

Slightly eccentric cart system but their products are good.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

+3. I've used chloroform many times on perspex: let a little run into the joint and hold it closed while it melts the surfaces together and evaporates. For a thicker, more 'gluey' approach, dissolve some perspex shavings in it.
Reply to
GMM

Vastly safer than chloroform. Can one even buy chloroform these days?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Found it on ebay, not Amazon though

Adam Aglionby

The seller grossly understates the dangers, perhaps to a similar extent to that handyman that removed the panel keeping kids from a 60' drop. I've no great concerns handling conc acids, but am very wary of chloroform.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why?

Reply to
Huge

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, so?

This is dangerous;

Compared to, say, chlorine trifluoride;

Chloroform is about as dangerous as peanut butter.

(Perhaps the fact that I have a (bio)chemistry degree biases my feelings in the opposite direction to you?)

Reply to
Huge

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Try a model shop which caters for serious makers of plastic kits; - 'Plasticweld' or something like that.

Reply to
Chris Holford

ent to that handyman that removed the panel keeping kids from a 60' drop. I 've no great concerns handling conc acids, but am very wary of chloroform.

the dangers of other substances tell us nothing about chloroform.

Er, no. Peanut butter is pretty safe for kids to handle. Chloroform is a vo latile toxic carcinogenic general anaesthetic. It may not be a problem for folks with the necessary knowledge, but to put it on public sale without ad equate warnings is irresponsible.

I've worked with it occasionally years ago, but no way would I sell it to a ny & every random stranger. Perhaps you would.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

xtent to that handyman that removed the panel keeping kids from a 60' drop. I've no great concerns handling conc acids, but am very wary of chloroform .

volatile toxic carcinogenic general anaesthetic. It may not be a problem fo r folks with the necessary knowledge, but to put it on public sale without adequate warnings is irresponsible.

any & every random stranger. Perhaps you would.

When was about 14 used to get ether by the half litre from local chemists, best switch cleaner about, used to ask that I get it late in the day becaus e decanting it would stink the shop out.

Chloroform looks bargain priced aginst cost of ether on ebay nowadays...

Reply to
Adam Aglionby