Acrylic bath scuff-marks

We've just had a new Armitage Shanks "Ascania" acrylic bath installed. A couple of days after the plumber left on holiday, we noticed some silicon seal smears and some scuffing along one edge, which he somehow omitted to mention.

A-S Customer Services recommended using liquid Brasso and a fine grade wet-or-dry paper in a circular motion to remove the smears and scuffs, then wash off and buff dry to a shine with a soft cloth. We tried this, but the area is now scored with circular w-or-d score-marks and is dull (as I would have expected). I reported this to A-S who advised me to continue the Brasso and wet-or-dry treatment. Eventually, they say, the full gloss shine will be restored and the marks removed.

From my angle, it would seem that any more treatment from me will

result in a huge dull patch on the edge of the bath.

Has anyone any experience of removing scuff-marks on an acrylic bath? Is Armitage Shanks' advice righ,t or will I just dig myself deeper into a hole?

Maybe I'm not using enough elbow grease!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce Hall

T-cut is a bit finer than brasso.

You must keep at it though.

It takes a lot to polish out a scratch left by anything other than fine(300 grit upwards) wet and dry.

Possibly a buffing mop on an electric drill will be less effort.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't believe that anyone would recommend using fine grade wet-or-dry abrasive on an acrylic bath. Try Googling for acrylic bath cleaning and acrylic bath scuff marks.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

It really does work, Phil. I tried it out on the old acrylic bath (still awaiting a trip to the dump) after the Natural Philosopher posted his comment. I deliberately scored the surface with a stone and then went about it with the wet and dry and the Brasso. First, it dulled over and the scratches disappeared. Then I carried on with the Brasso and plenty of elbow. After a while, the gloss finish came back, exactly as I was told by Armitage Shanks.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hall

Incredible! Thanks for that. You must be very relieved!!!

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Anyone who has ever prepped up a car for sale knows it works.

As long as you have a color layer of some depth - gel coat, paint etc, first you have to cut out the scratches. Fine grit wet';n'dry dies that. Then you end up with a slight depression full of micros scratches. Yoiu take those out with and even finer abrasive - T-cut usually, I fond brasso a bit too coarse.

With a car, you them apply a wax, which coveres in the ultra micro scratches and which you can buff up to a sheen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am!

Reply to
Bruce Hall

Absolutely. This is the standard method for acrylic. Even works on transparent panels, like aircraft windscreens.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle