Buying small items on eBay - grumble

Spinoff thread alert...!
Is this the model with a 4Gb primary SSD for the OS? Would be interested to hear what OS you use and how you get on with it... we've had a 901 model for a few years, running Windows XP but sadly it's now literally unusable as the number of Windows updates has completely filled the SSD. Tried installing a slipstreamed version, too, but that only bought about an extra year.
I'm guessing you're going to say Linux? Recently I fished it out for fun, and tried killing XP and installing Linux (not sure what flavour, and I'm not at all familiar with Linux) from the originally supplied CD; however by the time that had finished updating itself with several years'-worth of stuff, the problem was identical.
It's a total embuggerance that the machine has a 16Gb secondary SSD which you can't use for the OS, and which is almost empty :(
--
David

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:47:16 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Yes, the 4GB limit killed off XP.
I originally bought it with Linux because an OEM XP disc cost less than the extra to have XP installed. Then installed XP over the Linux. IIRC it stuck on .Net upgrades a year or so later. Couldn't dig it out without a full wipe and re-install. Linux let me get at the data.
I am running Linux - an Ubuntu variant (IIRC) specifically configured for EE PCs.
This runs on the second (slower) SSD. Again IIRC as long as you can fire up a boot loader such as Grub you can install Linux on any drive.
The main reported constraint was that the second larger SSD was slower than the smaller - however it may be slow but it still works :-)
I have been meaning to 'fettle' it but up until now it just worked.
I never tried to install XP on the second drive (something nagging at the back of my mind suggests that perhaps the second drive shows as a USB drive and so is suitable for Linux but not for XP).
One of the interesting things now is that 'Netbooks' were more or less wiped off the market by the onrush of tablets.
However I think you can now get a pretty spanky netbook for around £250 and I am seriously considering this because I have found that the original netbook was far better for long term travel (due to the much more capable OS) than the 10" Android tablet we bough for a lot more money and used on our last extended trip.
Cheers
Dave R
David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Have a look at the Asus Transformer Book T100TA as a decent equivalent of a Netbook. Full Windows (not RT) and includes Office Home & Student.
--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:55:58 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

Doesn't fit the spec. of "spanky for around £250" I'm afraid.
David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I got mine for £299 from John Lewis so not far off!
--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:06:32 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

How long ago?
Amazon are offering it for £416.99.
At £299 I might well be interested :-)

Well, my love/hate relationship with Lenovo X-series 12.1" models (usually off ebay) continues apace. You can get a pretty decent one for under 100, and the tablet convertibles are excellent if you don't lose the pen. Full maintenance manuals, drivers etc. freely available, plenty of people breaking for parts, and chargers and batteries available from China (often via Weston super Mare).
In comparison, my early Toshiba netbook is a joke, with horrendous keyboard and touch pad.
--
Bill

David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Looks like I got a good Xmas deal, it's £350 now:
http://www.johnlewis.com/asus-transformer-book-t100ta-convertible-tablet-laptop-intel-atom-2gb-ram-32gb-windows-8-1-microsoft-office-2013-10-1-touch-screen/p775600
--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.

Yep. I have a '701 with a very old Ubuntu on it, which is the same, there isn't enough room to run updates.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 52nd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The

I stuck a 16GB SD card in mine and installed Ubuntu with /usr (I think it was) and /home on the card. It runs well enough for the tiny little thing that it is.
Cheers, Daniel.

Yeah, I'm just too lazy and/or apathetic to do the same.
:o)
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:47:16 +0000, Lobster wrote:

That's not a showstopper. Simply identify part of the file system tree (probably /usr) and mount the second disk on that. It's all unified and will just work.
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:47:16 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Puppy Linux Slax Damned Small Linux
I ran Puppy on an old IBM 560Z with 192MB memory and a small hard disk. It worked very well. It should be fine on a EEPC 900 http://puppylinux.org/wikka/EeePC
This thread will be of interest too http://www.linlap.com/asus_eee_pc_900
Alternatively, use Windows 2000 SP4. It will take up far less room and will still do just about everything you are likely to want to do on a netbook. There is also the benefit of no updates so the disk won't keep filling up!
--
Tony
'09 FJR1300, '87 TW200,
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 17:38:07 +0000, TMack wrote:

Can you still get a legitimate W2K?
With drivers for all the Asus hardware (although the XP drivers should do).
My Win2K install is tied to Gateway hardware.
Cheers
Dave R
On 21/02/2014 19:10, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

> With drivers for all the Asus hardware (although the XP drivers > should do).
There is a Microsoft site where it was possible to download an encrypted copy of the .iso file (For educational use only) as of April last year. There is also available in the wild a decryption procedure for said encrypted file and, if you ferret about it is possible to find a product key that will let you use it and which won't trigger any forged software detection. Hardware drivers will probably be available on the Asus site until at least April, possibly longer as some makers even have Windows 95 drivers still available for their older hardware.

You can untie it by changing one file on the install CD. Instructions are available on the Web. I did all this a year or so ago, when I bought an old Windows 2000 PC that had had its hard drive securely wiped. Then I uninstalled Windows 2000 as it didn't work with soe of the programs I use on a daily basis.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:10:45 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

email me at tonymackin at gmail.com and I may be able to sort out win 2K for you, free of charge.
--
Tony
'09 FJR1300, '87 TW200,
"David.WE.Roberts" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net> wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:44:51 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Sort of - the figure of eight two core doesn't fit the two side by side pins because there is a lump sticking up between them.
Below and above are difficult concepts :-)
Cheers
Dave R
It's called a cloverleaf connector Brian.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:49:50 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Turns out that they ARE two shop fronts for the same organisation.
I complained to the original one and chased the refund on the second one quoting the Sale Of Goods Act.
I now have a full refund.
This is the cheapest option for the supplier, as they don't send me 'free' stock and don't pay for return postage on the wrong cable.
I am not out of pocket, but not a happy customer.
I also have an unwanted kettle lead and a PSU I have paid for but cannot yet use.
So off to hunt for a clover leaf connector.
Do they supply such things ready to be wired in?
I do happen to have a spare sacrificial power lead......although the cable is probably too thick.
Being 3 pin I assume that it requires earth, which means that I can't modify the old cable with the 2 pin connector.
Also, if I end up sourcing a plug and modifying a cable I might just as well have sourced a new jack plug for the old cable.
Ho hum.
Dave R