Buying small items on eBay - grumble

David.WE.Roberts put finger to keyboard:

I don't use Amazon Marketplace any more - too many problems.

"Original" toner cartridges being some third-party tat; "Software" being disk media only with no licence; One item not delivered at all, and no response from the seller. Took five or six weeks before Amazon would cancel the order and I could then buy from someone else (didn't want two of the same) - and there was no opportunity to neg the seller because the item was never delivered!

Reply to
Scion

Puppy Linux Slax Damned Small Linux

I ran Puppy on an old IBM 560Z with 192MB memory and a small hard disk. It worked very well. It should be fine on a EEPC 900

This thread will be of interest too

Alternatively, use Windows 2000 SP4. It will take up far less room and will still do just about everything you are likely to want to do on a netbook. There is also the benefit of no updates so the disk won't keep filling up!

Reply to
TMack

Can you still get a legitimate W2K?

With drivers for all the Asus hardware (although the XP drivers should do).

My Win2K install is tied to Gateway hardware.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

There is a Microsoft site where it was possible to download an encrypted copy of the .iso file (For educational use only) as of April last year. There is also available in the wild a decryption procedure for said encrypted file and, if you ferret about it is possible to find a product key that will let you use it and which won't trigger any forged software detection. Hardware drivers will probably be available on the Asus site until at least April, possibly longer as some makers even have Windows

95 drivers still available for their older hardware.

You can untie it by changing one file on the install CD. Instructions are available on the Web. I did all this a year or so ago, when I bought an old Windows 2000 PC that had had its hard drive securely wiped. Then I uninstalled Windows 2000 as it didn't work with soe of the programs I use on a daily basis.

Reply to
John Williamson

I assume the connector you mean are the ones built like the figure of 8 two core, but with an earth pin below and in the middle of the other two. Dell used to use these leads as i recall. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, my love/hate relationship with Lenovo X-series 12.1" models (usually off ebay) continues apace. You can get a pretty decent one for under 100, and the tablet convertibles are excellent if you don't lose the pen. Full maintenance manuals, drivers etc. freely available, plenty of people breaking for parts, and chargers and batteries available from China (often via Weston super Mare).

In comparison, my early Toshiba netbook is a joke, with horrendous keyboard and touch pad.

Reply to
Bill

Sort of - the figure of eight two core doesn't fit the two side by side pins because there is a lump sticking up between them.

Below and above are difficult concepts :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

It's called a cloverleaf connector Brian.

En el artículo , Brian Gaff escribió:

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Looks like I got a good Xmas deal, it's £350 now:

Jeff Gaines

I don't understand how people find Amazon usable:

The search is awful, it doesn't find what you want You can't sort the results, you have to 'choose a department' first The prices of search results don't include delivery, which can vary hugely You can't get a delivery discount for ordering multiples (I think) You don't actually get to see the item you're ordering There's almost no space for the seller to describe the item

The /only/ useful purposes I can see is buying new items that have a part number - if you want a new laptop where only that model will do - or used things where the condition is easy to describe (there's only so much that can happen to a book and still remain saleable) Anything else is too much work to hunt through the results.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Turns out that they ARE two shop fronts for the same organisation.

I complained to the original one and chased the refund on the second one quoting the Sale Of Goods Act.

I now have a full refund.

This is the cheapest option for the supplier, as they don't send me 'free' stock and don't pay for return postage on the wrong cable.

I am not out of pocket, but not a happy customer.

I also have an unwanted kettle lead and a PSU I have paid for but cannot yet use.

So off to hunt for a clover leaf connector.

Do they supply such things ready to be wired in?

I do happen to have a spare sacrificial power lead......although the cable is probably too thick.

Being 3 pin I assume that it requires earth, which means that I can't modify the old cable with the 2 pin connector.

Also, if I end up sourcing a plug and modifying a cable I might just as well have sourced a new jack plug for the old cable.

Ho hum.

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Amazon search sucks donkey nuts!!

However using Google to search Amazon links often works much better.

I favour anything "Fulfilled by Amazon" because I can be reasonably sure that it is in stock, will be delivered promptly, and can be delivered to my local Co-op for later collection if I don't want to wait in for it.

Marketplace not fulfilled by Amazon is more of a lottery.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Just twigged after Googling that it is a standard IEC C5 cloverleaf connector so widely available on line (with the usual provisos about reliable suppliers).

Now (yet again) trying to decide is saving a pound is penny wise and pound foolish.

Anyone dealt with ?

2m cord for around £5 delivered.

Amazon Marketplace and eBay can shave about £1.50 off the price but I have gone off eBay for the moment and also have reservations about Amazon Marketplace when not fulfilled by Amazon.

Too much choice is as bad as too little.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

..and all of this could have been avoided by simply buying another 12 power supply in the first place. Sometimes I wonder how the thought process works in some folk.

Ho hum

Reply to
Niel H

The answer to everything cable is Kenable:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

email me at tonymackin at gmail.com and I may be able to sort out win 2K for you, free of charge.

Reply to
TMack

You could try these from a reliable eBay seller (no connection other than as a satisfied customer over several years) :

:-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks - looks better than eBay!

I have already ordered the cable from cabling4less for £4.05 including delivery but Kenable goes on the list of suppliers :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

En el artículo , Chris Whelan escribió:

+1. Superb service.

I also get good service from Lindy, but they're not cheap. They're good for weird stuff like the IEC C14 + inline surge protector to 2 x IEC C13 Y-cable we needed a while back.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Lindy appear to be out of stock of quite a number of cables, and have been for weeks now.

Mind, there seem to be remarkably few 0.5 m USB 3.0 extension cables available anywhere! At least, the few that I have seen have been unacceptable for some reason (postage cost?, colour?, some other reason I can't now recall? :-) ).

Reply to
polygonum