Post between Russia and UK, buying on ebay.....?

I bought an item from Russia a couple of days ago and then the seller cancelled the order and refunded me. According to ebay it was solely the decision of the seller, which is understandable in this uncertain time, and not a political decision by ebay. The word was that ebay does not cancel transactions - only the seller can do that. I don't know if that's 100% true but that's what they say.

But in the wider picture, are postal services with Russia happening or being interrupted? UK talks of banning Aeroflot from landing for example. This is a fast moving situation so anything could change.

There's also the question of whether we should be buying anything from Russia, and whether we make any distinction between the Russian people as individuals and the Kremlin which is totally responsible for the invasion.

Reply to
Eusebius

That is correct.

I would not want to rely on anything getting in or out of Russia.

The people who can topple Putin are the Russians. Obviously with EU style politics they cant vote him out, but they can encourage Oligarchs to topple him. Or top him. Whatever. Bunch of f****ng thugs, the Russians are. Killed their upper classes and what's left are unsophisticated nasty cunning little peasants.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can I ask whether you would object to being called a bigot? My impression is that you might well regard it as a compliment?

Reply to
GB

Stating facts is not bigotry. Anyone who has contact with Russians will confirm the above as a pretty fair description. ] Bigotry is believing in a false description for no good reason., This is stating a fact supported by good evidence.

Russians are post the revolution by and large a bunch of thugs. Cf their behaviour in WW2. And Putins behaviour right now. Its not exactly classy noble diplomacy is it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll take that as a yes, then.

The Red Army defeated the Germans for us. I agree that the German army preferred to surrender to the British and Americans, rather than the Russians. That's because the Germans hadn't had a chance to rape any British or American women.

It was a mistake expanding Nato into the former USSR satellite states. If the Russians were not threatened, it was bloody stupid to make them feel threatened.

Anyway, I live in London. So, if there's a nuclear war, I'll get incinerated in a microsecond. That's better than lingering on for a few weeks.

Reply to
GB

Have you actually been to Russia?

Reply to
Richard

Stalin also killed all the Polish top people too remember, and concocted a scam that blamed the Germans, a story that was believed and the truth only came to light after the collapse of the USSR.

He also murdered millions either directly or by deporting them during winter to remote regions so that most died on route.

Reply to
Andrew

Visiting Russia doesn't necessarily mean anything. You'd need to live in the country for a decent period of time and speak some Russian, and also spend some time in different parts of Russia and with different kinds of people from the top to the bottom.

Reply to
Eusebius

Eusebius snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Has banned in fact and Putin has banned UK airlines in retaliation.

It does make sense to punish Putin for what he has done.

Not that that will see him leave Ukraine any time soon.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

Why would that be, then? Do tell, I'm keen to know.

Whereas the Red Army soldiers were told, once the Germans surrendered, that "Berlin is yours for 3 days". There were 57,000 rapes during that period.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Stalin was a Georgian.

and "the Russians" are Stalin?

Reply to
Richard

This is a very complicated political situation of course. Russia has for some time been calling on Kiev to go and stop the in fighting in the areas where its been occurring, right next to its borders with Ethnic Russians coming across saying they are being driven out. I'd guess that as with the previous area of Crimea, Russia simply does not like instability near its borders and hence annexed that bit off, they no doubt this time are thinking, if we do that here, it will only move the unrest to another bit of Ukraine and with the weak government, made a decision to grab it all and force the rules themselves.

Unfortunately nobody else in the region was able to guarantee the stability of Ukraine and we all know what happened to Yugoslavia once the strong leader went. Does Russia want that? I often wonder what will happen when Putin has to go through death illness or what ever. Will there be major problems keeping a lid on the state then?

Its blatantly obvious, Russia trusts nobody else but themselves from the government standpoint, so sadly it will be the everyday people of both countries who are going to suffer. What will happen one assumes is that all the foreign funded start ups in Ukraine and Russia will see a fast exodus and then what will everyone do to earn a living?

So I think steer clear of buying from Russia until the current fluid situation seems more stable. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

NP does seem top conform to his own definition, in so many instances.

I recall an account with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn that he admitted as such. Rape of Berliners was a common occurrence with Russian soldiers.

Reply to
Fredxx