Fixing interior insulation/pb how

Planning to put PIR on wall + PB, starting in alcoves. Question is how to fix everything. I don't want to glue pb onto the PIR, as the corners would keep cracking I presume. A wood frame is possible, though more work than I'd hoped. Any other options?

Reply to
Animal

You can get screw insulation fixings - spread the load across the soft insulation, and thermally broken to avoid bridging. eg

other types available)

For the PB, have you thought of using PIR-backed PB? Saves having to bond them. You probably still want thermally broken fixings, but could skim over them.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Most new builds today have plaster board bonded to block work using dot and dab method to fix to the wall. I believe the same method is used when dry walling with insulation backed PB.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I looked at insulated pb, it's way more money. Not sure why. Screwing it in place without any timber, would that cause edge cracks?.

Reply to
Animal

Which glue is recommended? Pva or acrylic?

Reply to
Animal

I fixed 50mm PIR to my inside front walls using 30mm battens cut down from CLS 95mm x 38 timber. THe width of the circular saw blade gives

3x30mm battens. Fix through the PIR into the wall with frame anchors. I then infilled between the battens with 30mm PIR (Quinntherm) and then fixed PB to the battens and skimmed.

The battens were fitted horizontally with a frame around the window reveal where I hacked off the plaster from sides and top (there was galvanised mesh spot welded to the lintel for the plaster to key onto so I just jemmied this off and lined the window reveal with homemade foil-backed PB held in place with foaming PU adhesive used liberally to create a full foamy barrier between wall inner leaf and metal lintel and the PB.

Reply to
Andrew