Stud wall in roof

I have a typical 200 year old 45 degree kent peg roof. I am fitting a loft room, essentially insulating and plasterboarding the entire triangular cross section (not bothering with knee walls) and a very small ceiling. I want to keep it as a toblerone shaped room.

Half way down I have to build a stud wall to enclose an en suite bathroom.

My question is, do I fit my 4x2 frame up and under the rafters to help support or do I put my 4x2 frame alongside the rafters and fix my wall to the rafters from the side.

Is there a preferred method? I'd like it to be strong and last and I am a little worried that a roof that will flex with temperature and winds will crack my paster, particularly at the corners where roof plane meets stud wall for example.

jON

Reply to
sadsjon

There is no harm in using extra new structure to beef up the old. Attach it all to the rafters..I HOPE you have arranged ventilation and insulation..

Your stud wall ls should end up stiffening the rafters and ceiling joists substantially.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But what is best? To fix the wall under the rafters or alonside the rafters and screwing the new wall to the rafters from the side as it were.

My inside ceiling beams are 4x2 and because of the problems getting them level by chamfering the ends to 45 degrees and screwing it up from underneath, I screw then to the sides of the rafters across the span. This way I can get perfectly level.

Would this method be good and strong .. ?

I suspect that under the rafters is stronger and of course I don't have to worry about getting horizontal timbers particularly level when they are going to be inside the wall when its finished.

Either way I will fix to all the rafters that I can ... but under or alongside???

cheers,

jON

Reply to
sadsjon

Oh. I see.

Structurally it probably doesn't matter. I suspect that nailing to te sides is better from that point view..

But I am concerned about the fact that you really haven't put any insulation between the rafters before the wall gets built....that will be easier to install if the wall doesn't obstruct the spaces between them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have 75mm Kingspan that I am fitting between and 50mm over the rafters. (building regs - I think it gives me a .2u insulation)

That is the current job in hand.

I need to complete structural work before I fit the insualtion in the area where the rafters meet the new stud wall, as you say it would be easier.

If I screw my stud wall to the side of one rafter then I can still get insulation in but its a bit fiddly.

If I screw my stud wall to the side of the rafters then I need to screw thru the rafter into the stud wall (rafters 2 inch think, stud wall 4 inch thick) which is why I thought that perhaps screwing the stud wall -under- would be better as I would be screwing through the 2 inch stud wall timbers into rafter.

I also think -under- would be stronger.

As I have a clean sheet to work with I'd prefer to use the best method.

jON

Reply to
sadsjon

Sounds like under is easier..try making the stud wall up as a unit, jamming it under and then screwing upwards. Also you can get fish plates that will sit either side of both bits if screwing upwards gets a pain.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher