Iphone text message read confirmation

If I send a message and it fails to deliver, it says something like 'message failed'. If I send a message and it delivers OK, my message background shows as green, but is there any way to know that a message has been actually read?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I think it was Apple used to send a return receipt to the effect "your message has been displayed on the recipient's screen. This is no quarantee that it has been read or understood"

Reply to
charles

My might be misrembering but I?m pretty sure that there have never been read reports for SMS. Some carriers will provide delivery reports (like Vodafone) but for read reports I think you need to use whatsapp, Signal, Apple iMessaging, Messenger etc.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thinking about it, I seem to recall that a message sent from an iPhone to another iPhone goes as an iMessage, but when sent to another type of phone goes as a SMS.

With the former I think you might get read reports, with the latter you don?t.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim+ laid this down on his screen :

Thanks all - no read receipt.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

That is only true of one type of failure, when the number isn't a valid number.

Not if say the phone is turned off etc.

No there isn't with any text message on any mobile phone.

You can't even get notified when it is eventually delivered to a phone which is currently turned off or out of range, let alone when the owner of the phone actually reads it.

That is a protocol limitation, the GSM system can't do that.

When an iphone decides that the recipient is another iphone, it can confirm that it has been delivered. but not that it has been read.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

Not as far as I am aware. I notce that what is much the same but the annoying thing there is that it only dings when you get a message and seems as if it won't auto read the info you get from text messages.. Sadly with ordinary text its worse as the only time you notice a text did not go is when a bounce comes back. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes indeed, its probably not worth the electrons its displayed with. For example my phone has the display off all the time and only reads stuff aloud. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Sms is not the issue he is talking about I-messages which are bigger and more feature rich than sms, but only work on other Apple devices.

I've never been very impressed What, its really finger intensive to find and read all the messages, and of cours some could be audio or graphics as well, and deleting seems an awfully complicated ritual. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If that was a thing, then I suspect many (including me) would want the feature of turning 'read receipts' off.

Getting hassled to provide an immediate response or being stalked ...

Hmmm. No.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz