Ebay sale to Russia

I wonder if anyone here has experience of this? I have an 18 year old electronic item on ebay that is getting bids from Russia.

I listed it as allowing international buyers by using the ebay Global Shipping Program (GSP) which, AIUI, shows the bidder in any country the shipping cost they would have to pay.

I idly wondered if, for political reasons, there were any restrictions on sales to Russia of electronic items, so looked at the government website. This seemed hopeless and clear as mud, with lots of parts apparently not working in my browser, and I got nowhere. I see from the much clearer Russian Government website that they have restrictions on the import of "Radio-electronics", but my item is not anything to do with RF.

I then looked at my ebay listing and was surprised to find that Russia was not on the list of countries covered by the GSP. Presumably, this means that the item was listed for international sales even though not covered by the GSP and that I will have to, if I accept the bid, arrange my own postage.

Before the GSP existed I did post things to far flung corners of the globe and never had a problem, but is Russia in some way now different?

Reply to
Bill

Are you about to be scammed?

I suppose you don't want to give a clearer idea of what you are selling?

Reply to
GB

A few years ago , but I had problems with a MP3 player to Russia - wouldnt clear Customs and gpt charged for its return. I have Russia listed as somewhere I will not sell to. Would have thought that if you have UK postage options only showing , no international postage and only GSP you wont be required to post abroad. You can edit Account - Preferences -Buyers requirements - Block "Buyers who have primary address in locations I dont post to " Can always cancel sale on basis its not somewhere you post to.

Reply to
Robert

Much of Europe is a real postal problem actually. Russia probably no better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are restrictions on exports to all countries. Google CONSOLIDATED LIST OF FINANCIAL SANCTIONS TARGETS

Also postage is an issue with Russia. Slow & unreliable - you need to know your cutoff times etc.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The bidder doesn't look like a scammer. He has 100% feedback from sellers in the UK, USA, etc.

It's a soundcard plus related software that might be rather rare.

Reply to
Bill

A pure buyer will get nothing other that 100% feedback. I would suggest you look at the comments in detail rather than relying of the % feedback.

Some sellers will put vague comments where things haven't gone smoothly, but the buyer can still request these comments are removed.

There is perhaps a need for a website with ebay scammers IDs?

Reply to
Fredxx

Just ask the buyer to collect it from a park in Salisbury :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Your problem may be getting the payment.

A friend of mine used to use Ebay a lot for the sale of relatively heavy items and what he found that very few of the bidders actually read the bit about additional postage costs, which were also listed and which were often comparable to the value of the item. Even though the listings all stipulated Paypal he found that when it came to paying International bidders then wanted to pay by personal cheque in their local currency or by money orders which incurred a charge for processing at the receiving end. In the end selling Internationally was too much hassle.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , Fredxx writes

Yes, I understand that, and I have read the comments. Some look like standard ones, others look genuine and from individuals.

Royal mail International, as opposed to Parcelforce, postage isn't all that high, so I might take a chance. I assume I have to go through some sort of customs procedure.

But, OMG, I've had a bid on a desktop computer from Italy. That seems to be within the GSP list, but it seems a bit odd. I had neglected to opt out of international on that one.

I've been trying to remember where I've successfully sold stuff to in the distant past, before GSP. I do remember Palestine, India, Italy and Israel, but perhaps those were more innocent times. All went smoothly.

Having a clearout is quite hard work.

Reply to
Bill

I don't see why it should be. Obviously there are tensions between some countries, but I used to get things from Afghanistan and back even when the Russians were there!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just pay a visit to your local amenity site and dump it all in the electronics skip.

Reply to
Andrew