Q1 Smart metering on Economy 7

I'm planning a new LX supply to a flat and will likely get a smart meter fitted. I will be fitting (or have fitted) new LOT20 compliant storage heaters. Do the eco7 smart meters provide a switching signal to control a contactor for the heating or do I need a separate timeswitch?

TIA Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You might need to check, but when I had mine fitted, having E7 was a bar to getting a SM ... also ISTR someone (Brian?) saying being single fuel was also a bar (I presume you wouldn't fit storage heaters if you could get gas)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks Andy. I did find one or two forum type posts that suggested Smart meters could be configured for E7. It could well be down to the elec supplier. Good point re single fuel though. Must look into that.

I'm buying a house to split into 2 flats. Splitting supplies is an extra expense, so I was going to keep existing gas and LX metering for downstairs flat and just split LX for the upstairs flat. I was going to keep the single, in the street water meter, and pay the water bill myself and make the rent for both flats inclusive of water charges. Making upstairs all electric saves having to fit a second boiler and splitting the gas. it also saves the mandatory gas safety certificate at £75 ish per year. No equivalent inspection is mandated for LX

Reply to
Bob Minchin

EDF told me last year current meters cannot cope with multiple timed tariffs, which as i have said here before is incredible, if really true, what designer of a modern meter would not allow for such a thing? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The single fuel is not a bar exactly, just that they don't seem to want to do it, but economy 7 software was not working as of last october. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Quite agree Brian, that has got to be EDF speciality hogwash!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My smart meter, installed for Ovo, can be configured for Economy 7, and PAYG, as well as 'normal'.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Electric heating in an area where competitors provide gas is not an attract ive prospect.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That depends on the size of the flat and the prospective heating costs. Electric heating is very common in flats too.

Reply to
Fredxx

As you state later in the thread you'll be keeping both flats to rent out, you could consider landlord sub-metering rather than a new DNO connection.

This also means you can retain an un-sub-metered landlords supply for the stair lighting and single heat detector over the stair for the communal fire alarm system :-)

SPWales and other suppliers also supply the Meterpay system used by landlordmetering, but I think landlordmetering are the only ones offering free meter loan and inclusive charging.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

ractive prospect.

Whatever the size & cost, gas is still about 1/3 the price to run. E7 can r educe costs, but not down to gas price. People also prefer gas hob, though that one's a downside for landlords.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some people do, I don't. They're difficult to clean and don't do a slow simmer as well as electric.

A smart induction hob that will chuck the full 8kW power out of one 'ring' when required will beat most domestic gas hobs, I think.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I think single-fuel gas-only would be a bar, because the gas meter is slaved off the electricity meter - the latter has mains power, while the gas meter has a battery which is enough to send readings to the electricity meter, but no more.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes, I can see the issue that way round, I'm dual-fuel so no issue, but I had vague recollection of non-gas users not being allowed a smart electricity meter.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My mum had one (British Gas, in former SWEB area).

She did have gas, and it did have its own telemetry reading, but it was Flogas :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog