Ebay prices crack me up!

Example:

$8 current bid. shipping $8.

what's wrong with this picture?

I just ordered some for $12 with NO shipping from a boat supplier.

Tee hee!

dave

Reply to
David

Some of the sales are really absurd. When looking for a source for

30330 return address labels for my labelwriter printer, I had a look at ebay.ca.

One guy has them on sale for 9.99 US and wants a standard flat rate shipping fee to Canada of 25.66 US.

Reply to
upscale

Like that clown selling a computer lessons CD for FREE... $ 6.95 US for S&H.

You'd be paying him for a CD which has nothing but advertising of his products.

Nose-hair trimmer, and cordless drill. $19.95. $29.95 S&H

Reply to
Robatoy

yea, the shipping scame is pretty common, and cheap as hell. If i see a seller who is going nuts with the shipping, i always send them an email asking them if they made a mistake and mean 5.00 for shipping instead of 50.00, etc etc, or something along those lines to try and piss them off.

Reply to
canadian_woodworker

The seller Dave was pointing to isn't exactly scamming on shipping.

He is offering $7.95 flat rate shipping, and offers to combine auctions for one shipping charge. He has 767 items currently for sale. The seller has a 5000+ 99.9% positive feedback rating.

That's a scam? Have you priced actual packaging and shipping charges, including pickup fees or gas to get to the shipper lately? How about time? Is yours free?

If I order just this one item from Grizzly via Amazon, it's $7.95 + $7.70 for shipping, or I can buy a 12 oz. can of Boeshield locally for about $15 + sales tax. $7.95 for a 4 oz. can of Boeshield, and paying shipping on the one item simply dosen't make economic sense if you're looking for a deal.

The boating supplier Dave mentions probably is using it as a loss-leader special to attract other sales, as they're probably losing a few cents on it if you order nothing else.

Now if Dave would share the name of the boating supplier...

Reply to
Ba r r y

I've gotten a number of complaints like that because I (like everyone else on eBay) charge about $5 handling. It takes time to pack it up and ship it. Beats the heck out of me why they complain, when all they have to do is bid accordingly, or not bid at all. One guy won the auction and then demanded I reduce the shipping; like he is somehow special. I told him to forget about it and I sold it to the next bidder.

Reply to
Toller

Well, why don't you break it down altogether: $6 house payment, $2 mortgage interest, $3.50 gas, 75¢ electricity, 50¢ tape, etc. Those are all rents that should be in the base price of the product, just like the raw materials and the machinery is to a manufacturer.

It's unethical, in my opinion to break out a separate (additional) charge for "handling" when that cost should be a part of the cost of the product. It represents pure profit, so far as I'm concerned, just like extended warranties, just because someone wants to maintain a price point to make a sale. It belongs in the price.

No problem. I won't be bidding on yours. I sure do retain the right to bitch about it, though.

Reply to
LRod

like the phone company? $7 for this fee, $3.75 for that fee, ad inifinitum, when all the fees are is part of the base charge anyway.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I have no use for jerkoffs that sell a $20 item for $5 then charge $40 for shipping. They might as well have tattooed on their forehead... "I'm a dishonest putz but I don't have the wit or the courage to be any good at it." I never buy anything from those types because you don't know what other lame surprises are in store for you.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Reply to
Mike Berger

If you had to send the bottle or can of Boeshield to someone else in the USA how much would you have to spend to box and ship it? USPS, UPS or whatever.

> Boeshield:$8 current bid. shipping $8.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

All and all It's what ever you can get. I never bid on items with high shipping or if I do I only bid what its worth as a deal with shipping combined. LET THE BUYER BEWARE

>>> Boeshield:$8 current bid. shipping $8.

Reply to
Tom P

I know guys who sold Xbox 360s at huge profits on Ebay before Christmas.

They charged $40 to $50 shipping and justified it as covering shipping, Ebay, and Paypal fees. The 50% to 100% profit they made couldn't cover the Ebay and Paypal fees??

Shipping fees should cover the cost to get something to me, not be a huge profit margin for the seller. Some sellers sell stuff for 1 cent and charge $19.95 shipping to get around Ebay fees as Ebay doesn't charge their cut on shipping.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Why doesn't e-bay go after them? I see a lot of this and it is blatently obvious that they are avoiding the e-bay fees.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I can do that. and the name of the boating supplier is...

bettersailing.com

I meant to order just one or two cans but ended up adding a silicone free dry lubricant as well, about $17/can.

dave

Reply to
David

at least $6. that's why i ordered 2 cans of the T9 and added another $17 can of dry film lube to my order--I felt guilty! :)

Dave

Reply to
David

(I guess I accidently cleared out the subject on the previous post)

I can do that. and the name of the boating supplier is...

bettersailing.com

I meant to order just one or two cans but ended up adding a silicone free dry lubricant as well, about $17/can.

dave

Reply to
David

I never thought of that. I've sold stuff on ebay and I use Paypal.. the fees for both are pretty low. But I suppose if you sell a lot of stuff and start with a nearly full retail price, those fees might add up. I'm sure ebay is aware of this and either they don't care, or they'll do something about it eventually.

Capitalism... gotta love it :-)

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Geez, when you see an item you decide how much you want to pay for it; say $40. If shipping is $5 you bid $35. If shipping is $30 you bid $10. What is so damn hard about understanding that? And what is lame or dishonest about it?

Reply to
Toller

Charge what ever you want for shipping an handling! Just be up front about it and I will decide if the total price is in line. I refuse to bid if the shipping and handling is not shown. My neighbor "won" an auction on Ebay lately. He sent an e-mail for a request for shipping charges before he bid. After the bid was done the seller sent him a e-mail for the total, with shipping, and HANDLING! The shipping was as quoted, but the added handling charge was more than the shipping. It was a small item, but with all the charges it was more than he would have wanted bid/pay for the item. Greg

Reply to
Greg O