Brushcutter FS120

Hello,

I'd lent my brother my FS120 Sthil Brushcutter (2004). He decided to 'take a look at it' for me before giving it back, so removed the grease cap in the head and added some grease to the gearbox. For some reason I don't understand rather than using red grease as recommended he has used some very old 'Royal Snowdrift' grease. There are no-more details as to the kind of grease it is on the tin but it's black. He didn't tell me this until I'd got it back a used it a couple of days.

Presumably the wrong type of grease could be serious and it's time for a trip to the Sthil dealer's workshop?

Reply to
Chade

I wouldn't think so, no.

It rather depends on the gears..if its nylon or polycarb or PTFE, then you wouldn't normally use a graphite loaded grease, but it does no harm I think.

If it bothers you, wash it out with petrol or something, and put the 'right' one back in..

Of course Stihl want you to use their very expensive whatever formulation it is we are not telling you grease..

Probably a silicone, when alls said and done.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did a bit of googling. Graphite is never harmful, but the non silicone aspect of the royal snowdrift MAY lead to high temp breakdown. Apparently silicones are good for heat. And of course good for rubber seals.

Personally I would not bother. If it holds up it holds up, if it doesn't the cost of getting new seals is probably the same as getting it stripped and re greased - but from memory, its not hard to self strip if you cant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher