Oster microwave problems (2023 Update)

hello, just joined hoping to find some help, i have a 1.1 oster convection microwave and for some reason if it runs more the 5 min it cuts out and i have to wait 30-40 min then it comes back on. the clock needs to be reset everytime, even if there is a pause inbetween i can run it for 2 and a half min stop it wait a min then 3 mins and it will cut out before its done.

any ideas?

Reply to
auggie

The internal fan no longer functions, the unit overheats, and the inline thermostat opens the circuit.

You either need a new fan, or you need to find out why your current fan no longer functions.

Before opening the unit up, *please* read and heed the following document, paying close attention to the safety warnings:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

sorry my fan does run... at first it doesnt then after a a min or so it kicks in, and will run anywhere from 30 sec to a couple of min after im done with it

Reply to
auggie

I have a neighbor that had a microwave/convection oven that he was having problems with. His wife was gone for the weekend and he was struggling to fend for himself. When I went over he was trying to heat up a foil wrapped casserole using the uWave mode. For the rest of the weekend he either ate with us or sent out.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

"Jon Danniken" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I think newer MW's have a schematic included inside the cabinet. the last one I opened up did,in an envelope.It had all the servicing info. BTW,it also used security TORX screws to secure the cabinet.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If it's a convection, it'll have two fans, one to blow air around the inside of the oven, and one to cool the transformer and uwave tube.

Did you already open up the unit to verify that the transformer/tube fan is running?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

i did not know it had two,... would the inside one run after you have stopped the timer for a cool down mode ? if it matters im only using the normal function not the convection settings is there a easy way to tell wich one is running ..

Reply to
auggie

Take it to a repair guy, he can tell you.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Again; as many times before ............................ be very, very careful.

Unless you are a trained electronics/transmitter technician.

M.wave ovens are basically a 1000 watt transmitter inside a metal box and have voltages up to 5000 volts and also emit microwaves which can fry your eyeballs and or meat (yourself) very quickly.

Once described as the most dangerous household appliance ever invented.

I have two such units down stairs at the moment to determine if they are worth repairing; often they are not! Brand new ones can often be bought for less tha $60.

And yes; I was once an electronics technician dealing with many types of equipment.

Reply to
terry

In this age of planned obsolescence and outrageous corporate greed, fixing a microwave that costs under 500 dollars is basically an exercise in futility. The parts cost more than buying another piece of junk from any of the cesspool that sell this crap. I was a radar tech in the military and civilian trade and the stuff I see foisted on the public would garner jail time in most of the world but not here in the "land of the free". At the moment, I have two microwaves wanting repair. I will not fix the Oster. It is pure junk, requiring an extended running of the internal fan to cool off the substandard wiring/cheap transformers that make up this waste of money. The engineer that signed off on this needs to go back demand a refund on the degree . He or she should know this is junk and should never have made it past the design stage. Sadly, I am fairly certain greed dictated the final product. The only decent thing I've found inside any part of this was the glass used for the revolving tray and as I am not a glass maker in any sense, I have doubts about the integrity of it, judging by the rest of it. From what I've seen, Oster is a brand which should not exist. Blenders are junk. Mixers, same. And their microwaves...DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! This is indicative of the many issues appliances today have and nothing short of jail for the boards/ceo's/etc. will stop it. Corporations have learned it is cheaper to knowingly allow people die than to correctly manufacture a product. Sad.

Reply to
sodamntiredofrichwhims

<SNIP>

I just love the liberal notion of "corporate greed" when referring to the profit motive.

After all, that's what business is all about isn't it eh- making money? From little Jimmy's lemonade stand to the neighborhood shoe repair shop to Apple and General Motors. It's the basis of our capitalistic society.

And since you probably have a lot of common stock or mutual funds in your 401k or retirement account, I guess you don't you want the stock companies to do as well as possible so your stock prices and account values rise....

Or do you want the compnies to make only a little bit of money and reap only a tiny profit so the stock stays the same or goes down..or maybe the libby's preference of them overpaying their employees and turning in a loss for the year? Hellooooo bankruptcy ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Especially when it comes to microwave ovens. The typical countertop ones start at ~$70 and a nice one is $150. That's less than they cost in the 70s and that's not even adjusting for inflation. My Panasonic stopped working, I'm 99% that it's a door switch connector or the door switch. I haven't opened it up yet, but same happened before and that's what it was. It's only worth fixing because last time it was just the connector had heated and failed, I was able to replace it without any parts. If it needs a switch, I would buy that and DIY. But 99% of consumers aren't DIY and if anything like this stops working, it's nuts to take in anywhere for repair with labor and shop rates what they are. Consumers should be celebrating that corporate greed has made this possible.

Reply to
trader_4

Nothing wrong with profits. I don't see why CEOs have to make 236 times their workers when it was 44:1 in 1989 and 15:1 in 1965.

The Gospel According to Milton Friedman. Companies can make money while doing good in the world. Costco made $27.572 billion in profits, and their employees are paid well and receive a generous benefits package.

They don't need to overpay their employees. They could stop overpaying their executives. At that level, money is a way of keeping score, rather than compensation for value added to the company.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

That's the case for everything with a computer in it. Offshoring manufacturing has brought prices way down, relative to inflation. Pity about all those American jobs.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

As far as their currently manufactured blenders, I can't comment because my Oster blender from 1972 is still working as good as new, with all its original parts, including the blade and the gasket. I use it at least

2x/wk.

Most electronic devices today are very well engineered - for planned obsolescence. My old stereo receiver, which cost about $80, lasted 25 years without any repairs required. I got rid of it because I wanted something with digital vs. analog tuning, higher output power, and an amplifier section that accommodated digital audio inputs and had better distortion ratings. I got my replacement 5 years ago, spending $600. Two weeks after going out of its 3 yr warranty, it just "died" overnight while turned off. Repair shop found several failed components, including a fuse that was supposedly protecting that part of the circuitry. Paid $125 for repair. One year later, dead again, this time just that same fuse. Repairman replaced the fuse and refused to charge me (said, "it's just a $0.75 fuse"). Eight months after that, once again, dead again! This time repairman replaced the fuse with one rated only slightly higher, bench stress-tested it for 24 hrs continuous service at higher output than I ever drive it and said nothing seemed to overheat or fail. He again refused to charge me. (So far, so good.) Repairman said he rarely sees newer equipment these days that doesn't have similar problems even when they are more expensive than my unit. He said almost everything today, regardless of brand or price uses cheap components from PRK that have no quality control. He said the best stuff for reliability is the high end used equipment from about 15 years ago that wasn't abused.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

This recent news item warmed my cockles :

" Made in Canada: Elora firm looks to bring overseas appliance manufacturing back home. Stirling Marathon hopes to begin refrigerator production in new

60,000-square-foot addition this fall. "

I wanted to immediately put in my order for a clone of the

40 - 50 year old appliances that lasted 25 - 30 years. - no computers please !

.. wishful thinking. John T.

Reply to
hubops

This article is almost 10 years old - things might have changed -

" Through his company's 35-year history, Leonard Lee, founder of Lee Valley Tools, has ensured that the highest-paid worker never makes more than 10 times the wage of the lowest-paid worker. By contrast, that ratio averaged 122-to-one last year at Canada's biggest companies, up from 84-to-one a decade earlier, "

Their annual profit-sharing is not based on salary - it's years of service - a 20 year janitor gets the same as a 20 year manager.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

A sad tale, with a noble repairman and perhaps a happy ending. But what brand is the receiver we're talking about?

Reply to
micky

With what you've stated, you're either "well-to-do", blindly stupid or an ignorant troll or quite possibly, all of the above. Liberal notion? Clearly your blinders have you following along like some paid shill and missing the real picture. Shrinkflation as a detriment to ordinary people aside, the record profits posted by the few businesses which happen to own all of the known subsidiaries we must suffer today (with one being Blackrock with 59 TRILLION in managed assets) and which coincidentally have basically the same board members in different positions at the various subsidiaries, have come right out and stated their motives are greed driven. "Inflation has been kind of our friend" and it goes down from there. There's used to be a sort of standard in all industry of a "fair product for a fair price". I don't know if other countries are enduring the same lack of ethics and personal honor as this country is currently being undermined with but that treatise went by the wayside about 50 years ago. Who, one might ask? Let's start with Eisenhower (find out why he gave the go-ahead to ramp up the war in Viet Nam and for the record, I'm a Viet Vet) and you'll see how it gets progressively worse until it gets to Reagan. Then it takes a giant leap downward...and no, it didn't trickle down. So, do you only do as you're told to and ignore the slap in the face every time you purchase something, be it overpriced petrol, shoddy appliances or perhaps even chemically-patented basic groceries(you know, where simple farmers are sued because their genetically-modified crud was growing wild on an unsanctioned farm)? Or do you choose to go along with what you're told because you lack original thought and do not have sufficient fortitude to be on your own? Doesn't matter as you prove what you're worth. I'm going with "Troll" especially with the last truly ignorant statement about "make only a little bit of money...", "or maybe the libby's preference of overpaying their employees..." A ststement so stupid and narrow-minded which means it surely points to troll. If this isn't a troll, I really feel sorry for those who must cope with you on a regular basis.

Reply to
sodamnedtiredofrichwhims

The old one was a Kenwood. The new one is Cambridge Audio. And yes, the repairman is a gem! I tried to convince him to let me pay him for his time, even if the fuse was the only part that needed replacement twice after the initial repair. He strenuously refused.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt