Oster microwave problems (2023 Update)

[snip]

My usual response in these cases is to ask the service rep, or anyone else who's done a favour... if they have a charity they like I could contribute to. Or if they're having trouble coming up with one... I suggest the local food bank.

(If it's a techie I'll mention the EFF...)

Reply to
danny burstein

I'm 90% sure I had a Kenwood VCR, a top of the line in 1986 or so, with lots of good features, like the ability to record for 2:27 if you chose.

Eventually it broke, and a guy told me it was the motor that drove the big chrome wheel (name?). So it gave a picture but with distortion, from wobble I guess. And he was going to continue looking for one that fit in his big box of motors (I guess removed from machines he scrapped) But then he started making racist and antisemitic remarks and I lost interest. I had a long term plan to find a motor on my own.

I'm sure I took the VCR with me and put it in the trunk of my car, 20+ years ago. I'm sure when I got rid of the car, it wasn't in the trunk. Maybe it's in my house, but I have no idea where. When I move, I'm going to find all these things, and I'll only have 2 weeks or so to fix them or throw them out.

Mine was older than yours, or was made by a different subcontractor.

Good to know both the bad and good brands.

And yes,

Impressive.

Reply to
micky

Good idea. I've done that but didn't think about it here.

When my wallet and credit/debit cards were stolen from my rentacar, a man with whom I had the most distant relationship lent me about $200, so I could buy food and gas etc. until I left. He didn't ask my last name or email address or phone number. I thought I'd be able to pay him back when I got back to my laptop computer, which had most of my passwords in it but for some reason the Paypal password was not there (or it didn't work because I wasn't using my US phone number, or something like that), so I wrote him and said I needed 2 more weeks. When I got back to the US I sent him the money right away and about $35 to a charity I know he liked, and I told him about that. (The problem with that is that the charity writes you every week until you die. But I got around that somehow, maybe by saying Don't write me anymore.)

EFF... Ethiopian Football Federation? A very good group.

Reply to
micky

I didn't get a haircut for about a year at the start of Covid. (I've been going every 6 months when there is no epidemic, because I want to always look nice.) When I finally went, I tried to pay the barber for 3 haircuts, tried hard, and he wouldn't take it. Later my friend and I came up with the idea that he had gotten some of that covid relief small business money so he didn't want to be paid twice, but still later, the web address listing everyone who got paid showed up, and I looked thoroughly and he wasn't there. (Father and son barbershop.)

Reply to
micky

First time failure was 2 weeks after warranty expired. Subsequent failures were 1 year and more out of warranty. Getting warranty service would have cost me almost as much as my initial warranty as there's only

1 warranty repair facility in the entire U.S. and I would have had to ship and insure the 25 lb receiver there or drive a full day round trip plus toll roads both ways to drive there. Plus, believe it or not, there was a "service and handling" charge of about $75!

Lesson learned. In the future, I'll carefully research the locations of warranty repair shops and the details of getting warranty service for any brand of home electronics I consider buying. Even though my receiver was out of warranty at time of 1st failure, it could have happened while still under warranty.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt