Bronx fire

Ones with an adjustable hold open delay and slow close make getting through with your hands full a lot easier. Had this issue in the PFI Hospital where I worked - difficult getting a patient in a wheelchair or on a trolley through a fire door which keeps closing quickly.

Reply to
Robert

Some people have no sense of danger. My SiL visited the the Mer de Glace near Chamonix (it's a big glacier) where you can walk down to the ice and visit the ice grotto (they put wooden walkways out to the ice cave entrance).

What does my SiL do? Steps out onto the ice in her ordinary outdoor shoes and promptly goes arse over wossname. Completely oblivious to the fact that, you slide very far and there will be a 100ft deep crevasse waiting for you to fall into.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, heat

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Everyone is their own Safety Officer" quote from my working days

Reply to
charles

I'm sure they are in new builds, but retro fitting is a lot easier with batteries. The ones I fitted used D cells.

Reply to
charles

They do - cue to change the batteries

Reply to
charles

That link is to an "Acousitic " Dorguard

"Listens for continuous sound"

Reply to
charles

"I didn't get where I am today by following links before telling people they're wrong".

Reply to
Robin

...as I say

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

and?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

None. Often they make the door appear so heavy to push, many older people cannot even open them. We see this problem a lot in care homes and hospitals. Surely somebody can come up with a delayed action system so tat they are easy to open but can be closed firmly. Mind you a lot of fires are made worse by the choices in refurbishment design or materials. This often happens because several contractors work on a building with no knowledge of what another has or will be doing. I mean in Grenfell, you have sealed cells to keep fire localised, then some Herbert puts plastic windows in, then later gas to each flat with foam around the pipes, then makes the outside look nice with cladding which should never be used in such situations. Nobody kept their eye on the overall situation except the residents who actually pointed the folly out some years before, but were over ruled due to each bit being seen as a separate improvement, not taken as a whole.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It stops the need for fire extinguisher beingb used to encourage a fire

Reply to
charles

One of our safety officers failed to attend a meeting - the night before he'd been riding his bicycle home from work and ridden into the back of a parked car!

However, things are often overdone. Three I remember are:

1) a site insisting on fall arresters being worn when working from any scaffolding - including the less than 1m platform we were using. Fall arresters could have no effect for such a short drop and served only to get in the way and limit movement. 2) another site insisting that everyone going to the "back" road behind the building, must wear hi-viz gear, due to frequent vehicle usage - despite us only exiting via single door, that lead directly to a chiller unit completely surrounded and separated from the road by an Amrco barrier. It was too hot to wear hi-vis inside and every 30 second visit to check readings meant collecting hi-viz from the lockers and donning it, totally unnecessarily. 3) At a sewage works, one of our electricians being forced to wear his hard-hat, which kept falling off or getting in the way, as he leant into the panel that he was working on, despite that panel being the highest point of the site (on top of a settling tank scraper bridge) and there being no other work anywhere nearby.

Sometimes blanket safety rules do need a bit of common sense applying.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The Local Authority H&S Officer insisting Romeo had to wear a climbing harness when decending from the balcony in a stage performance of R&J.

A different H&S Officer wanting a safelty barrier between the stage and the orchestra pit in a refurbisted theatre

Reply to
charles

Doesn't cost a fortune in new build terms to have electric door holder openers which release in event if a fire alarm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

OTOH it does cost a fortune to have retrofitted to a Grade I listed building where English Heritage insist on the right type of hair being imported to go in the plaster.

Reply to
Robin

Darwin (and Alfred Wallace) have an explanation for those people

Reply to
Andrew

Including entrance doors of apartments in multi-story blocks which need automatic door closers ?

Reply to
Andrew

You are allowed and required to fit corridor fire doors in a Grade 1 listed building? Not on any I've been in. Can you give an example?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Richard