Boss White gone brown. Retrievable?

I found some old Boss White plumbing joint sealant in the garage. I need it for a leaky washing machine hose joint as a temporary fix. Rather than go to a hardware shop, is it possible to squidge it back to usefulness? The (brown) oil seems to have separated.

Incidentally Homepoint, B & Q and Homebase seem to be out of stock on a lot of plumbing items. Is it just around here?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I think I would dig deep into the can you may find it is ?squidgy? further down you should not need much. However as it is a washing machine hose these have rubber washers at both ends flipping the washer over might just give you a watertight seal.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's only chalk and linseed oil (or similar). Just give it a bit of re-mix (at least enough of it to do the job). However, I don't think it will work very well with rubber hose.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The brown oily liquid is traditionally linseed oil. It is mixed with an hydrate of aluminium from memory which is like chalk. There used to be different colours, blue, green white. While everyone used white I don?t think it was intended for potable water. Fortunately it isn?t toxic. I suspect, if you get enough in the pipe, you could maybe taste it until it was flushed through.

Reply to
Brian