[Borderline OT] Scrap Copper prices

Hmm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If all passing thieves just quietly disappeared, and no one was any the wiser and didn't go asking, there would be a lot less crime.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If all the people that buy stolen goods disappeared there would be virtually no crime, just the odd murder, fight of parking spaces and speeding type stuff. Maybe the death sentence for anyone with stolen goods, its a lot easier to prove than catching the people who steal the stuff in the first place. Got any stolen pens, or other stuff from work?

Reply to
dennis

The temptation to plant some hooky gear on you Dennis would be too great.

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

Excellently put

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

Hmm..

Tempting legislation, nevertheless.

We all file purchase receipts, guarantees etc. as a protection against faulty goods or even mistaken purchase. I don't quite see how it could be implemented other than random searches of private property or checkout barriers in pub car parks:-)

Security systems, PIR lighting, expensive padlocks etc. are a considerable cost to my low turnover business.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have had a pile of scrap pipes and fittings accumulating behind my shed for a few years. 60 kilos, got =A3200. Party!

=A33.40 a kilo for copper tube.

I have some regrets about selling it, I suspect the pound sterling will prove to be a poor investment compared to the copper kilogram.

Reply to
Onetap

Electronic receipts, details of purchases' bar codes &/or serial numbers uploaded via your bank card, accessible on-line. The main purpose being to reduce the consumption of energy and resources in the production and importation of CRAP.

Reply to
Onetap

Try elsewhere. I was offered =A33.00@ kg for brazier copper.

Reply to
Onetap

In message , Onetap writes

Umm.. Wouldn't this also allow our controllers to compare spend/income and draw conclusions about hidden; untaxed income sources? I suppose you would need to stop people using cheques to escape monitoring... oh yes!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, assuming it was optional, you had opted to use it, and THEY had access to it. It's a good idea don't stomp on it immediately. It'll never happen though, retailers want to sell you crap and prefer to grudgingly give you a flimsy tissue receipt that fades in the light; they don't want you coming back in 3 or 5 years when the rubbish materials and workmanship that were expended in producing the crap aretefact, make their presence known. It would need legislation and our elected representatives to impose laws that do something for the electorate, us, rather than just pocketing backhanders from pressure groups.

Reply to
Onetap