scrap metal prices?

Hello,

I have some copper, brass and aluminum left over from an electrical project. Is there a standard way to get the base prices for recycling these materials?

I figured once I get the base prices, I can call around to see who has the best prices.

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

Yeah, google "copper prices" or "metal prices." Some of the sites give just the commodity price (new material) but some give scrap prices. Your local recycler will likely pay a good deal less.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

copper is down...

Reply to
hallerb

"Base prices" are irrelevant. An item is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay you for it, and no more. The only prices that matter are the prices paid by recyclers that are close enough to you that you're willing to drive there.

And that means pick up the phone and call around to see who has the best prices.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Good advice, I was looking for information before calling people.

Can anyone tell me how much is a good amount before I try to sell it?

tom @

Tom The Great

No.

A "good amount" is what the recyclers _in_your_area_ are paying for it.

The prices paid by scrap yards even twenty miles away are not meaningful, because (unless you're recycling several hundred pounds) it won't be worthwhile making the drive just to get an extra nickel a pound. You need to pick up the phone and call _your_local_scrap_yards_. Pricing from anywhere else is meaningless.

Reply to
Doug Miller