Boiler PCB Repairs

NP is correct (he repeated what I posted essentially).

Semiconductors can deteriorate and eventually fail with time as he describes. The process is slow but higher temp speeds it up. In, say, a transistor, you may see a gradual loss of gain before it fails.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Good. So I assume that it's a PCB that is not on his website list or he has been busy with the cold spell and made that many repairs that he has run out of parts!

As you might know I have spent a lot at time at Geoff's working on a house he rents out. This has been mainly weekend work but not all of it.

Some of the local engineers who are out at work all day often just call at his house in an evening to pick up/drop off a PCB. I have also seen him drive to work on a weekend several times to grab a PCB for the engineers that work weekends.

Reply to
ARW

Prat Brian: READ what I said. Hot stuff doesnt last . Cool stuff DOES.

Good design is not spending money on making a power transistror last longer than te rest of the product

And lowering frequency response. Many chips in digital kit got out of spec if kept too hot too long

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's an unusual make, but Geoff recognised it immediately from the model number printed on it.

I didn't realise you worked this far South. My daughter and her husband are buying a house that will need a full rewire ...

He seems a very nice guy. I wandered in through the open door of his workshop. He glanced up and said "What are you doing here?" But, things improved after that. :)

Reply to
GB

ROFL!

Reply to
newshound

I recall a fair few occasions when Adam has mentioned working in London and further South.

I think he may occasionally take the opportunity for leisure activities either side of that work. I don't doubt that there's no duality of purpose in the travel; and that the addition of Lou as a passenger makes no material difference to the cost of travel or accommodation. But it can't do any harm in your mentioning to him interesting things for them to do/see...

Reply to
Robin

So he is correct in saying power devices and diodes will fail in no more than 30 years?

Since we are talking domestic use here, does that mean 24/7 then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or in your case, making sure it fails just out of warranty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does Lou help out with the work? Otherwise, it must be pretty dull for her if Adam is busy.

Reply to
GB

Let's see.

I took her to Watford and spent a full day working at the rented house.

Geoff was at work and Lou went shopping with Geoff's wife. At 1pm they both arrived at the rental property.

Lou "The sales are on, you will not believe how much I have saved you on the new clothes I have bought"

Geoff's wife "I spent more than Lou and saved Geoff even more money"

Reply to
ARW

Remember Geoff's rental was a nearly empty house with carpets that I could just rip up and I worked there over several weekends and stopped at Geoff's for the weekend.

I suspect your daughter and S-i-L will want a quicker timescale than I can offer without going through the company I work for.

I would be interested in knowing what the companies down there quote for their rewire.

Reply to
ARW

£150/day. Labour only, last year. One man band.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

They are not quite at that stage, but I'll let you know. I think they'll be getting other work done, so they'll probably get the builder to organise it all. That's assuming this purchase actually goes ahead, as they've had a poor survey.

Reply to
GB

:)

Did you factor that into your quote? I hope you quickly came up with something else for them to do in the afternoon?

Reply to
GB

That looks insanely cheap for a self-employed, qualified sparks in or around London.

Reply to
Robin

Cook dinner for me and Geoff;-)

Reply to
ARW

I'm not sure you would call Hemel Hempstead *in or around* London:-) but certainly down here.

Reply to
Tim Lamb