Blowing GU10's

Lots of ons and offs in that situation?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There you have it. I long ago discovered B&Q bulbs don't last. I now only buy from TLC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I have GU10s in two rooms and I cannot recall how long they have lasted - certainly more that 3 years. They are both fed from a touch dimmer which gives a soft start.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I've also got a fair number of these too. Decent makes seem to last about the same as any tungsten bulb - just not B&Q own brand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No not really. On when it gets dark, off when he goes to bed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I figure (using P = V^2 / R ) that going from 230 to 242 V increases the power by 10%. Why does that cut the life by 50%?

(I'm not arguing, but curious about the physics behind this.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

probably for the same reason a 1A fuse will take 1A indefinitely but blows at 1.1A. :-)

Not all physics is smooth linear differential equations.

I mean what difference does it make if my rifle bullet is 6" out at half a mile? I will obvious kill the person 99.99% instead of 100% wont I?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is what is hard for people to understand, TNP, even though they experience just that every day in their own lives.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's a lot more substantial than a 50% decrease in life.

Ha, you got me there. But seriously, I was hoping for some explanation involving the dissipation of the extra 10% of heat generated.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I _think_ the bulb life is limited by the filament evaporating. Take the temp up a little, and it evaporates much faster - it's an exponential relationship.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It's a very fine relationship between efficiency and life. Drop the efficiency and the life goes up dramatically. Think of, say, panel illumination lights on a car versus headlamps - the headlamps are likely to fail three or more times as often.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

when clearly that cant be the failure mode? I'd look at oxidation at or around the operating temperature. I bet that's a sharp knee.

Or whether in fact the material strength starts to undergo a transition at that temperature

To get light efficiency you run filaments as hot as they can go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The formula quoted in the wiki (don't know its source) is:

new life / old life = ( old voltage / new voltage ) ^1^3

(that raised to the thriteenth power in case it does not look ring in ASCII)

so 1000 hours at 230 volt would become:

nl / 1000 = (230/240)^1^3 = 0.58

so life = 1000 x 0.58 or 580 hours at 240V.

Reply to
John Rumm

They aren't lasting that long. It's a matter of weeks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Changing the subject slightly.

I wonder if people understanding of bathtub curves has altered, now that baths come in so many strange shapes?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

The cross section is basically the same regardless... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

That's rather like what I meant by heat input & dissipation. I guess in your example, a 10% increase in heat generation is enough to push the temperature over the edge.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Lengthways or sideways :)

I always use the length. Give you the chance to have a different slope at the two ends.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Far out: you don't run into 13th powers very often.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Fnarr fnarr.

Reply to