What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.
On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:34:43 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"

Yesterday I needed an emergency shoe shine. Didn't have my glasses on. guess which one I used? http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8738444589/in/photostream/lightbox/
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 14/05/2013 21:11, Graham. wrote:

As a teenager, when aerosol deodorants fist became popular, I sprayed my mums hair lacquer under my arms in error. I actually did it on two mornings before I noticed.
It certainly stops you sweating :-)

On 14/05/2013 21:11, Graham. wrote:

Should have used real shoe polish!
--
Rod

I got a tin in Tesco today to cover up the area I bleached!
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

so the "safety" cap wasn't a give-away then?
tim

I have a memorable DIY 'near miss'. I was sawing through my mum and dad's kitchen units, with a view to making it easier to rip them out. As I was getting near the floor, and going through the trim at the bottom, I thought I'd take a look behind, to see if anything was in the way. There, right under the blade was the plastic mains water feed pipe, coming into the kitchen some two feet away from the wall. Am I ever glad I stopped at that moment.
On Tuesday 14 May 2013 21:12 Dis Manibus wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Almost a Frank Spencer moment :)
Mine was:
Old car, door lock screwdrivered. Had MIG - so decided to weld a plate in.
Forgot I had the window open, so the weld spatter hot it full force so that when wound up, a 4inch2 area was like a thimble's surface.
Went to scrappy to get new glass turning a job that was the cost of 2 cans of spray paint (filler-primer and top coat) into a rather more expensive excercise.
Still, you could not see the repair after I had resprayed the whole door :)

On 14/05/13 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

1/. leaving a full bottle of woodworking glue standing on the studwork when I covered it in plasterboard.
2/. Turning off the cold mains supply, to work on the hot side of a sealed pressurised hot water system and not telling my wife not to flush the loo..and open the taps..oh dear air enters via unclosed ballcock valve, and cold taps and tank of hot water in roof drains ALL OVER the bathroom and drips into sitting room as I rush to attic to close gate valve ...
3/. It probably doesn't count as DIY, but the classic case of building two left wings on a model aeroplane.
4/. Believing that when SWMBO says "I want it there" she has actually thought about it, and means it...
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:13:32 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

A friend of my father's mistakenly built two left sides of a boat (a full sized riverboat that was).
Robert
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Putting a nail through a gas pipe...?
...on a bank holiday :(
--
David

On 14/05/2013 21:22, Lobster wrote:

10pm Sunday night in my case ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Can't call yourself a DIY plumber until you have done that. BTDTGTTS.
Sawing through the top of your workmate.
Drilling into a cable you installed yesterday.
And Desmonds - installing a steel spray arch in a car wash - with it between his van & the door....

The better version is when you are under the sink, and pass the bucket out to a helper and ask them to empty it...!
--
Cheers,

John.

isn't that what they're for?
On 15/05/13 19:23, tim...... wrote:

No, generally they are there to fetch the tools ...
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead

Oh
I thought that sort were just there to sit in the van, ready to move it when a warden comes along
:-)

Mentioning this group in another, resulting in a well known poster there thinking it was acceptable to include this group in their socio-political ramblings.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Tue, 14 May 2013 22:32:10 +0100, fred wrote:

Mentioning lightning conductors in this group and getting the w_tom loony again.

Suitably mitigated by your public service sig.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .