What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Yesterday I needed an emergency shoe shine. Didn't have my glasses on. guess which one I used?

Graham.

I have a memorable DIY 'near miss'. I was sawing through my mum and dad's kitchen units, with a view to making it easier to rip them out. As I was getting near the floor, and going through the trim at the bottom, I thought I'd take a look behind, to see if anything was in the way. There, right under the blade was the plastic mains water feed pipe, coming into the kitchen some two feet away from the wall. Am I ever glad I stopped at that moment.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

1/. leaving a full bottle of woodworking glue standing on the studwork when I covered it in plasterboard. 2/. Turning off the cold mains supply, to work on the hot side of a sealed pressurised hot water system and not telling my wife not to flush the loo..and open the taps..oh dear air enters via unclosed ballcock valve, and cold taps and tank of hot water in roof drains ALL OVER the bathroom and drips into sitting room as I rush to attic to close gate valve ... 3/. It probably doesn't count as DIY, but the classic case of building two left wings on a model aeroplane. 4/. Believing that when SWMBO says "I want it there" she has actually thought about it, and means it...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 21:12 Dis Manibus wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Almost a Frank Spencer moment :)

Mine was:

Old car, door lock screwdrivered. Had MIG - so decided to weld a plate in.

Forgot I had the window open, so the weld spatter hot it full force so that when wound up, a 4inch2 area was like a thimble's surface.

Went to scrappy to get new glass turning a job that was the cost of 2 cans of spray paint (filler-primer and top coat) into a rather more expensive excercise.

Still, you could not see the repair after I had resprayed the whole door :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Putting a nail through a gas pipe...?

...on a bank holiday :(

Reply to
Lobster

As a teenager, when aerosol deodorants fist became popular, I sprayed my mums hair lacquer under my arms in error. I actually did it on two mornings before I noticed.

It certainly stops you sweating :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Can't call yourself a DIY plumber until you have done that. BTDTGTTS.

Sawing through the top of your workmate.

Drilling into a cable you installed yesterday.

And Desmonds - installing a steel spray arch in a car wash - with it between his van & the door....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , Mentalguy2k8 writes

Mentioning this group in another, resulting in a well known poster there thinking it was acceptable to include this group in their socio-political ramblings.

Reply to
fred

Should have used real shoe polish!

Reply to
polygonum

10pm Sunday night in my case ;-)
Reply to
John Rumm

Mentioning lightning conductors in this group and getting the w_tom loony again.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I got a tin in Tesco today to cover up the area I bleached!

Reply to
Graham.

Draining the blocked sink into a bucket by removing the pipe from the underneath of the sink and then happily standing up and emptying the bucket into the sink and thinking NOOOOOOoooo as the water washed over my feet.

Reply to
Ericp

uk.rec.sheds got a mention in my daughters Linguistics dissertation. She still graduated with a first.

Reply to
Graham.

+1 BTDTGTTS
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think we all have!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Parked car in the 'short stay' bays at the station to drop somebody off. Come back to the car and the key got stuck in the lock and it wouldn't turn. Pulled out the Haynes manual and proceeded to try to hotwire the car (in full view of passers by). Eventually gave up and called the RAC. RAC man took off the steering wheel lock (which I'd never heard of before) and it worked fine.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

The better version is when you are under the sink, and pass the bucket out to a helper and ask them to empty it...!

Reply to
John Rumm

How about: Refurb'ing a friend's tiny kitchen. Same units & new doors, different worktop, bit of cabling, new tiles and decided that what had been under the wallpaper could do with a skim. Mate who's a plasterer comes in and finishes off.

Stood with my friend looking at the drying plaster and:

"How much effort would it be to move that doorway across"

I believe the plasterer is still thinking of suing for damage to his work!

(It was a worthwhile move, the door was off-centre, wasting space and causing the fridge to block cupboards)

Scott

Reply to
Scott M