What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

isn't that what they're for?

Reply to
tim......

No, generally they are there to fetch the tools ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh

I thought that sort were just there to sit in the van, ready to move it when a warden comes along

:-)

Reply to
tim......

I used to have to do it on a Primus in the garden.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Also used to roast copper head gaskets on one. Not sure if that actually did anything, though.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

I wished I had done something like that! Especially as we actually had a Camping Gaz stove that would have done the job easily.

Reply to
polygonum

Nikwax burns nicely. Don't ask me how I know.

Reply to
Huge

Not mine, a friend's (honest! he told me about it yesterday). He was 8m up a ladder trimming branches. A branch fell and knocked the ladder out from under him. He was incredibly lucky, falling on the ladder which was on top of branches, cushioning his fall. Only bad bruising.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It's anthropological.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I think we've all done something very like that. A variation is taking the waste pipe off then washing the muck off your hands in the sink.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

LOL!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Most stupid and life-threatening..

I was working on a concrete balcony, with a wooden railing on steel posts, which at the bottom are welded to horizontal steel pegs (hollow, as it turns out) embedded in the concrete. I had disconnected the railing sections from each other to repair and paint them, and the section I was working on was about 1m long. I was leaning all my weight on it, trying to reach a bit of the post near the bottom on the outside, when the whole thing started to give way. The pegs, probably weakened by rust under the paint, were bending surprisingly willingly. Somehow I managed to pull myself back before crashing head-first onto the concrete below. The sturdiness of the posts was very misleading.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

She sounds fun. Swap?

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I did that! It was a saucepan full of grease. Everything in the kitchen was blackened with greasy soot. That was 46 years ago..

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Huge put finger to keyboard:

After a particularly wet camping holiday, my Mum decided the next time to Nikwax everything she could get her hands on. Including towels.

Reply to
Scion

Taking the top instead of the bottom off a door to go over a carpet.

David

Reply to
David P

Mine was when my parents chest freezer failed and to remove it also required the sink in the utility room to be removed. I took off the sink trap and passed it to my Dad. He emptied it down the sink whilst I was still underneath it.

Reply to
ARW

Walking on wet concrete is a job for your cat/dog.

Reply to
ARW

Leave a bowl under the trap all the time?

Reply to
Adam Funk

draining old oil - 5+litres - from old tractor, the refilling with more than 5 litres new expensive oil - without having replaced drain plug..... bastard ;>))

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K