What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

On 15/05/2013 7:34 a.m., Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Most stupid and life-threatening..
I was working on a concrete balcony, with a wooden railing on steel posts, which at the bottom are welded to horizontal steel pegs (hollow, as it turns out) embedded in the concrete. I had disconnected the railing sections from each other to repair and paint them, and the section I was working on was about 1m long. I was leaning all my weight on it, trying to reach a bit of the post near the bottom on the outside, when the whole thing started to give way. The pegs, probably weakened by rust under the paint, were bending surprisingly willingly. Somehow I managed to pull myself back before crashing head-first onto the concrete below. The sturdiness of the posts was very misleading.
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Mine was when my parents chest freezer failed and to remove it also required the sink in the utility room to be removed. I took off the sink trap and passed it to my Dad. He emptied it down the sink whilst I was still underneath it.
--
Adam

On 2013-05-14, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Leave a bowl under the trap all the time?
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

First ever car Mk3 Cortina and around 6 years old when bought.
I thought it was a good idea to fit an after market oil pressure gauge. After fitting, the gauge took about 30 seconds to register so I concluded that I had a problem with oil pressure.
Removed the gauge adapter and asked a friend to start the car while I checked under the bonnet. As the car started the contents of the sump shot out of the hole in the adapter, missed my ear by a few inches, hit the underside bonnet and descended again covering everything within a 3 foot radius.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

My mate did exactly that with a MkII or a Mini, don't recall which old heap it was. An impressive amount of oil, indeed.
SWMBO says "washing machine is leaking". Sat in front of it and realised the standpipe was no longer coping with the outflow.
Cleaned as much as I could reach, bunged drain cleaner down it, hot water, etc. Twice. Each time flushed it through with a quick wash, interrupt, and forced drain operation.
Went to flush it once more, go outside, watch drain. Nothing coming through. Eventually go back insode and splash my way across the utility room.
Yes, forgot to put the drain hose back in the standpipe.
That was 30 minutes ago.
Painting the gable end of the off-shot kitchen. I managed to get all the way up to about two inches below the top of the chimney. So, of course, I balanced the step ladder on the wheelie bin to get the last bit done. Just as I finished the wall started shooting upwards as the wheelie bin went shooting into the garden.
Oooff!
JGH
jgharston wrote:

--
Adam

On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:34:43 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

:-) I was replacing sink taps and waste pipework on a sink a few weeks ago. I closed the under-sink shut-off valves, replaced the taps (mixer spout with separate hot/cold controls), then hooked up the hot feed and thought I'd test that for leaks before doing the cold, as access to the pipework was going to be tricky once the cold feed was in place.
I was quite proud of myself for remembering to put a bucket under the sink in place of the non-existant waste pipe. What I forgot to do was ensure that the cold tap was shut off. With my head under the sink so I could watch for leaks, I reached around and turned the hot tap on - at which point water decided that the path of least resistance was through the not-yet-connected cold inlet, rather than the spout and into the sink.
Needless to say, the bucket wasn't in the way, but my head was.