What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

I have made 'dosa' (Indian rice batter pancakes) a few times, which have ground fenugreek seeds in them. The batter looks, smells and has the consistency of white emulsion paint, but the pancakes are delicious.

Huge

Hah. You're right it's MR2

harry

Or Watneys Red Barrel...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Believe you me, Dr.Peppers is nastier than Red Barrel. A lot nastier.

Reply to
Huge

At least Red Barrel didn't taste much of...well, anything....when I last drank it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I tried Peppers. It is very nasty indeed.

Reply to
harry

My mate did exactly that with a MkII or a Mini, don't recall which old heap it was. An impressive amount of oil, indeed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Kids should be introduced to kitchen appliances at an early age, but under some degree of supervision. My early experience of the Kenwood Chef involved sticking a knife into the blade, snapping the blade of the knife (and the mixer), said broken bits whirling past my ear with a deadly trumm noise and one of them embedding itself in the doorpost.

In the same kitchen, the following year, my first foray into home brewing involved following a recipe on Blue Peter for ginger beer. It all went swimmingly. Right up to the point where all the dozen bottles exploded in rapid sequence, late one evening. The recipe had said nothing about releasing the pressure every so often... The bits of glass embedded in the ceiling and woodwork were a mute testimony to the charnel house that kitchen would have been if the bottles had let go during a busy period.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Philistine; and you call yourself a Yank.

Irn Bru, Vimto, Cream Soda, all stuff to get you diabetic later.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

SWMBO says "washing machine is leaking". Sat in front of it and realised the standpipe was no longer coping with the outflow.

Cleaned as much as I could reach, bunged drain cleaner down it, hot water, etc. Twice. Each time flushed it through with a quick wash, interrupt, and forced drain operation.

Went to flush it once more, go outside, watch drain. Nothing coming through. Eventually go back insode and splash my way across the utility room.

Yes, forgot to put the drain hose back in the standpipe.

That was 30 minutes ago.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Painting the gable end of the off-shot kitchen. I managed to get all the way up to about two inches below the top of the chimney. So, of course, I balanced the step ladder on the wheelie bin to get the last bit done. Just as I finished the wall started shooting upwards as the wheelie bin went shooting into the garden.

Oooff!

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Sounds like I got off lightly. My ginger beer made a good impression of a foam fire extinguisher when I opened it. My mum was _not_ impressed by the jet playing across the front of the cupboards.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Reply to
ARW

Just reminded me about a demijohn full of damson wine. It was placed to ferment in a corner of a newly decorated bedroom, but frothed so vigorously that the foam made it through the air lock. As each bubble burst, it spattered the wall. The colour nearly matched the emulsion, but was a somewhat darker shade.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Many years ago my mother used to boil linseed in an open pan to make an additive for the horse's feed, allegedly it improved their coat. Any way, one day she had the bright idea of doing this in the pressure cooker. Some where along the line she had forgotten that it increased in volume quite a bit while being boiled.

The result was that the mass inside forced the little weight off the top of the cooker that was the pressure regulator and a volcanic like eruption of scalding hot linseed hit the ceiling. For sometime it was impossible to get any where near the cooker to turn the power off. Spectacular though :-)

She never tried this method again....................

Reply to
Bill

Not advised in any circumstances, I'd have said. Boiling point of linseed oil is 315C.

Reply to
Tim Streater

:-) I was replacing sink taps and waste pipework on a sink a few weeks ago. I closed the under-sink shut-off valves, replaced the taps (mixer spout with separate hot/cold controls), then hooked up the hot feed and thought I'd test that for leaks before doing the cold, as access to the pipework was going to be tricky once the cold feed was in place.

I was quite proud of myself for remembering to put a bucket under the sink in place of the non-existant waste pipe. What I forgot to do was ensure that the cold tap was shut off. With my head under the sink so I could watch for leaks, I reached around and turned the hot tap on - at which point water decided that the path of least resistance was through the not-yet-connected cold inlet, rather than the spout and into the sink.

Needless to say, the bucket wasn't in the way, but my head was.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Is that just the regular stuff? It's effing disgusting.

Reply to
Halmyre

I was once working whilst standing on the top platform of a stepladder having turned this way and that I stepped down on the side without any steps, with paint kettle in hand!

Luckily it was only a 3 ft tall step ladder.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Mate of mine was painting a ceiling... stepped down from the ladder, straight into a 15L bucket of emulsion ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm