What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

Trouble was it was hard to be as rude about it as the circs demanded as I was surrounded by septics who thought it was wonderful - they even drank the diet version vomit vomit vomit.
--
Tim

On 17/05/2013 12:33, Huge wrote:

Or Watneys Red Barrel...

Believe you me, Dr.Peppers is nastier than Red Barrel. A lot nastier.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 64th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"
On Fri, 17 May 2013 21:50:19 +0000, Huge wrote:

At least Red Barrel didn't taste much of...well, anything....when I last drank it.

I tried Peppers. It is very nasty indeed.

Philistine; and you call yourself a Yank.
Irn Bru, Vimto, Cream Soda, all stuff to get you diabetic later.

Is that just the regular stuff? It's effing disgusting.
--
Halmyre

On Thu, 16 May 2013 22:36:55 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Kids should be introduced to kitchen appliances at an early age, but under some degree of supervision. My early experience of the Kenwood Chef involved sticking a knife into the blade, snapping the blade of the knife (and the mixer), said broken bits whirling past my ear with a deadly trumm noise and one of them embedding itself in the doorpost.
In the same kitchen, the following year, my first foray into home brewing involved following a recipe on Blue Peter for ginger beer. It all went swimmingly. Right up to the point where all the dozen bottles exploded in rapid sequence, late one evening. The recipe had said nothing about releasing the pressure every so often... The bits of glass embedded in the ceiling and woodwork were a mute testimony to the charnel house that kitchen would have been if the bottles had let go during a busy period.
On 18/05/2013 14:56, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Sounds like I got off lightly. My ginger beer made a good impression of a foam fire extinguisher when I opened it. My mum was _not_ impressed by the jet playing across the front of the cupboards.
Andy
Andy Champ wrote:

Just reminded me about a demijohn full of damson wine. It was placed to ferment in a corner of a newly decorated bedroom, but frothed so vigorously that the foam made it through the air lock. As each bubble burst, it spattered the wall. The colour nearly matched the emulsion, but was a somewhat darker shade.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Many years ago my mother used to boil linseed in an open pan to make an additive for the horse's feed, allegedly it improved their coat. Any way, one day she had the bright idea of doing this in the pressure cooker. Some where along the line she had forgotten that it increased in volume quite a bit while being boiled.
The result was that the mass inside forced the little weight off the top of the cooker that was the pressure regulator and a volcanic like eruption of scalding hot linseed hit the ceiling. For sometime it was impossible to get any where near the cooker to turn the power off. Spectacular though :-)
She never tried this method again....................

--
Bill

Not advised in any circumstances, I'd have said. Boiling point of linseed oil is 315C.
--
Tim

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:34:43 PM UTC+1, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

More of a near miss, but... Many years ago I was helping a charity out - they were using a former hospi tal building owned by the Department of Transport (waiting to be demolished for a bypass). One day I went in and noticed the drains seemed to be overf lowing, even though we weren't using much water. A bit of detective work sh owed that the drain ran along the back of the building, then out to a littl e housing estate (presumably they'd sold of some of the grounds for develop ment, and the developer just tapped into the existing drain). All the house s were on higher ground, so none had noticed the problem. Continuing to follow the drain, I finally found a manhole that wasn't full, just before the sewer in the road, and a bit of inspection showed some roo ts blocking the inlet. Unfortunately the manhole was pretty deep, so althou gh I had a hook around 6 feet long to try to move the roots, I still had to lean a fair way into the hole. As I removed the blockage a tidal wave of backed up sewage started pouring into the manhole - it rose to within an inch of the top... Fortunately I was younger and fitter then (and I had expected a fair bit to come through, I'd just underestimated), so I got out just in time, with on ly a bruise where I'd hit something in my hurry to get out.

Reminds me of a similar episode at my mum's place... she was complaining of a blocked drain, so I went round with rods etc to help clear. We finally established that most of the run down the side of the house was clear, and so it must be the final few yards to the manhole. Alas there was what they termed a "weaver" in this drain - a vented vertical drop tube that intercepts the end of the drain and drops it about another 3 or 4 feet before it enters the manhole. This means you can't rod right through from the top, and rodding down the weaver was not shifting it either. So mother decides we need to go down the manhole and rod back up the last bit of pipe. I was going to do the gallant thing, but she insisted on going down since she was wearing old clothes already (and in those days, enthusiasm often got the better of her)...
So there she is at the bottom of this probably 10 - 12' deep hole banging away with a couple of rods against some blockage (I don't think she had thought this one through to the logical conclusion!) Then after a moment there was a loud gurgle, and a sound of rushing water. Realisation rapidly downed that she was about to be in the shit (literally). There are foot holds set into the wall, but they were not quick to scale in a panic. There was a scream, and I saw this hand reach into the air for assistance. So I reached down, grabbed it and pulled hard. Fortunately the combination of 5' something diddy mother, and somewhat larger me, meant she came out of the hole like a cork out of a bottle - with nothing more than slightly damp shoes!
--
Cheers,

John.

BTDT. Except it was a 6'3" man (*) apparently levitating vertically out of an inspection chamber.
(* Me.)
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 62nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

She sounds fun. Swap?
Alex

Reminds me of a post here many years ago from a farmer (IIRC) who had a campsite on his land, and the pipe to the septic tank had blocked. Had to go into the manhole to rod it from downstream of the blockage. He had thought to put wellies on, but had not thought through how much shit a campsite generates, and the ensueing gush overtopped his wellies before he could get out.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

I think the most powerfully dumb one must be sticking your hand into the back of a planer thicknesser to sweep out some shavings, but forgetting you have not turned it off!
--
Cheers,

John.

Using a pipe cutter to cut the service valve (closed) off the end of the cold feed to the wachine machine without checking that, however tortuous the route would need to be, it might, just might, be connected to the rising main.
MBQ
On 15/05/2013 7:34 a.m., Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Not mine, a friend's (honest! he told me about it yesterday). He was 8m up a ladder trimming branches. A branch fell and knocked the ladder out from under him. He was incredibly lucky, falling on the ladder which was on top of branches, cushioning his fall. Only bad bruising.