Bloody interfering nosey busybodies

Just got all my rotten wooden windows replaced with some lovely maintenance-free uPVC ones, and very tasteful they are too. Next thing I know some nosey git from up the street is creating a fuss about my 'plastic windows', mouthing off about how this is a Conservation Area and it's not allowed. Keeps going on about fenestration issues - I'll de-fenestrate him.
We'll see how he likes it when I stone-clad the front and put a satellite dish up. Then I'm going to add a third storey.
--
Window

I was under the impression that ALL replacement windows were now subject to planning rules. Is that not right ?
Andy

Not sure its so much planning as regulations about their insulation efficiency.
Planning would not be a bad thing though; I have seen whole streets ruined by replacement windows. No doubt the aluminium ones that were all the rage in the 70s were once thought of as smart; now they drastically reduce the value of the house. I would imagine that inappropriate windows in a conservation area would do much the same. People who buy a house in a conservation area are usually enthusiastic about keeping beautiful buildings as original as possible. If that requires the removal of inappropriate windows, stone cladding and satellite dishes then that will be reflected in the price they offer.
If intending to do work on a building in a conservation area it is generally best to consult the council. They are likely to insist on higher quality, and thus more expensive work, but it pays off in the long run.
Davy

A few months ago I popped back down south to see my brother and drove around the council estate where I used to live. I had painstakingly restored my Crittalls windows, taking all the old paint off, replacing the wooden window frames on two windows. It took weeks to go round the whole house. All because I don't like seeing modern plastic windows in an old house. As I drove past "my" old house I saw that all my work was for nothing. The new owner had ripped out the metal windows and installed horrid white plastic ones, totally not in keeping with the house style.
Okay, so I may have had somewhat higher heating bills in winter, and there was a problem with condensation in cold weather, but I didn't care. Those metal windows would have lasted a further 100 years, and indeed, I believe there are now double-glazed glass inserts for them.
MM

Bastards!
Indeed. The availability of double glazed Crittalls is a life saver for the millions of at-risk 1930s windows out there. That 1930s look relies so much on those slender metal frames. To replace them with horrid plastic just shows how some people have no appreciation for architecture whatsoever beyond just being a cheap shelter from the elements.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Which is of course exactly what they said about Crittall windows when they first came out.
AWFUL things. Cold and draughty.

What, you mean back in the 1850s?

Rubbish. Slender framed, elegant windows are a feature of many modern as well as traditional building design. And with the modern double-glaxed replacement glass inserts performance need be no worse than with the horrid plastic windows.
MM
MM wrote:

And usually rusty

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:33:49 GMT, Stuart Noble

Crittall's windows are GALVANISED!
MM
MM wrote:

I worked on a 30s house where the whole lot were rusted through at the bottom
Stuart Noble wrote:

I lived with them for 15 years and they rusted at the base..inside!
All that condensation.
My mother, whose house they were in, eventually replaced them with UPVC DG, and suddenly the house got almost warm.

...until someone sands them down to repaint. They they're wrecked, as rust will always leach though.
--
Andrew Gabriel

MM wrote:

Don't have any details do you? Just what I'm looking for.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

http://www.crittall-windows.co.uk /
MM

Only if they catch you at it.
--
Skipweasel
Andy Cap wrote:

Correct. that is not right.
Andy Cap wrote:

No.
Building regs: yes Planning: no (other than certain areas)
David

I think you have a case against your solicitor who failed to inform you that you lived in a conservation area and what it entailed. Try uk.legal.
Christian.

Oh, and I've got some perfectly sound sash windows that I've reclaimed from a skip. Yours for only a grand, if you want them. I suspect they will fit perfectly.
Christian.
Window wrote:

pmsl.
Go on put a scrap car up the garden.