bloody computers

This is the way.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Tao of operating systems?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

FreeBSD is difficult even for geeks, imagine for a brainless m0r0n from

21 Campsie Drive PA4 0RB.
Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Does FreeBSD do DRM, for example watching DMR movies on Firefox?

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

There's one other report of Windows 10 Patch Tuesday for this month, screwing up. This is a picture of a BSOD.

[Picture]

It took the owner of that machine, several tries, and usage of the power button, to get the machine to roll back the Patch. And now the machine is running again.

That's a picture of a Blue Screen Of Death with error:

"DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE"

Which is an unusual error. Either related to a driver change. Or, related to malware. Microsoft knows of some vulnerable drivers (the home-made giveio.sys is an example of the class of driver), that can be used to craft attacks on computers. Microsoft has corrected an error in their handling of that "driver black list". And it is possible, that this Patch Tuesday has attempted to remove a driver that some malware was potentially using.

But at the moment, these are just wild guesses as to why this happened.

The default setting for the OS, after a BSOD, is "Automatically Restart". There's a tick box for that. This means that the screen with that message, may only have been present for around half a second. If instead, you have the machine set to not automatically restart, the BSOD stays on the screen and you can write down the "error message".

When I search for Patch Tuesday problems for this month, I'm not getting anything of value from Google. This is not helping matters.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Oh, the joys of Linux. Ive had mine on auto update every night now for about a year, and its never f***ed up. The worst that has happened is I had to close and reopen firefox or thunderbird...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since Jim has stopped responding, I don't think it matters what we suggest.

Jim has found a Jim-solution.

Maybe the computer has gone out a second floor window.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

imagine

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

That is the correct and simple solution for any Windows problem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I always wanted to write to one of those 'what is the most useful and creative things you can do with an Apple Mac' with 'uses it as a doorstop, or as a deterrent to mating cats when thrown out of a window'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you tried booting, and turning off the power before it finishes booting ?

Each time you do that (up to three times), the OS will boot its WinRE backup OS and try and repair the main OS.

Someone in one of the other groups, that's how they escaped from Patch Tuesday fuckup.

So it goes like this:

power on booting booting <=== turn off the power here booting booting <=== (This is where it would normally get stuck)

power on recovery-starts-to-run

If not successful, then you can repeat the procedure again.

During the third run, the recovery procedure will do a lengthy CHKDSK and read-verify the sectors, which most of the time is just a waste. So don't try it a third time, unless things really look bad for the hardware.

It might take only one try to fix it.

When you turn off the power the first time (while it is still sane), it remembers the abnormal termination the next time, and tries to remedy it. This is what you're trying to trigger, by using the power button (on the back).

With a desktop, any time you turn off the power at the back, wait one minute (60 seconds) before turning it on again. This gives the inrush limiter time to cool off.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

very wise.

Reply to
Andrew

I wondered why this weeks patch took so longgg.

Even my i3/8Gb/SSD HP AIO took quite a while. I almost gave up on my desktop with a hard disk drive, that took over 2 hours.

Reply to
Andrew

What bothered me, is for all the trouble this one is causing, why aren't I seeing a signal in Google. None of the enthusiast sites seemed to have noticed problems, and I think that's an issue with Google Search.

This update patches a whole bunch of CVEs (malware/exploit).

A longer term problem they are working on, is Secure Boot is kinda broken, and it will take them a year, to (incrementally) fix it. They're afraid of breaking a hundred million machines with a single update, so they're dragging the process out.

Your lengthy delay suggests there was some amount of old update in "in-flight" state. Or, maybe you even got an OS upgrade in the middle of that. Check your Update History, the date stamps, and see if more activity happens than normal. Microsoft was supposed to be "hurrying up" the transition out of 21H2 to 22H2 or so. That's before 21H2 goes out of support.

In the past, the "hurry up" updating process, was when they did all the Tablets via Windows Update. And that's a notoriously hard-to-do procedure for them, since the Tablet designs never had enough eMMC on board.

32GB just is not enough. One of the prompts you would see in that case, would be "Please connect a USB flash stick we can use as a scratch drive", and that is how they made enough space for themselves (Windows.old or equivalent).

*******

Powershell (admin): Get-WindowsUpdateLog (places a .log on your desktop)

This tool is for analyzing Windows OS Version Upgrade results (21H2 to 22H2, say).

Their logs are pretty well totally useless, but it is what it is. When they write tools like that, it scans through a hundred thousand lines of log, and finds a few lines of error messages. So you don't have to.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

A Hard disc drive? How retro!

Reply to
SH

wast of time just block all windows patch/updates and use Linux for anything important :)

posted from a tiny11 windows pc

Reply to
Mark

+1. I keep a windows XP in a virtual machine for the exceptionally rare times that Linux wont do. I leave it suspended so it boots off SSD an about a second.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's reliable. And for emails, groups and internet browsing it is quite adequate.

Reply to
Andrew

I wouldn't consider that pile of poo for any application that was important, like online banking

Reply to
Andrew