Another task to do

Walked out on the platform on the lake to see how many boards needed replacing when one corner collapsed. Quite a jolt!

See the image in a.p.b.w

Reply to
swalker

... for the few here who pay for binary newsgroups - perhaps one of them will post it to a public forum and share the link .. I haven't had a binary news feed in about 12 years .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

If that is your correct email you will receive it shortly from fxxxxxxxpxxxxxxx.......net

Reply to
swalker

usenet-news.net is a pay binary news feed, but instead of paying by the month you buy by the block of data, which never expires. Prices range from 2GB for $2 to 1024GB for $92. If you're an infrequent user, 10GB for $5 could last you a very long time.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I haven't posted my actual email on usenet .. ... in forever. John T.

Reply to
hubops

9 days ago:
Spalted Walt

Just FYI...

There seems to be a bit of a delay in the images working their way onto the delorie site.

I check for swalker's lastest image sometime fairly soon after he posted and the platform image wasn't there. It is now, but I don't know when it showed up because I hadn't checked until just a few minutes ago.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks ! .. back to 2013 - I got some catching-up to do ! :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

Why not get a better source. For 4 dollars you can get enough at

to last you a couple of years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Perhaps you mean

blocknews.org is "parked" by GoDaddy:

Is this your domain? Let's turn it into a website!

Would you like to buy this domain?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes. $2.75 for 5 gigs. I've been on it about a year and have used

0.625 GB. Really can't beat it for the low cost and it is more reliable than eternal-september.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Eternal-september is free and I've used it since comcast dumped all newsgroup support. For binaries I've been using Astraweb since around

2011 for $10 bucks I got 25 gigs and still have 23 gigs left. don't know anything about blocknews.net but it sounds great for the price, particularly if you think eternal-september is unreliable. It's been about problem free for me for going on 10 years.
Reply to
Jack

The deck (platform) has been deconstructed and removed from the lake.

The deck was 10 X 20 of pressure treated lumber. The deck was tied to the concrete seawall by a single 2X12 ledger that had 1/2" bolts that were placed in the concrete when the wall was poured. After 10 years the bolts were in good shape with no rust apparent.

Although the bolts holding the ledger to the wall were in good shape the 2X12 PT material was shot. A 3' section in the middle was mostly missing and the remaining ledger wasn't much better. My best guess is that 10 years of being tight against the damp concrete and subject to over 50 inches of rain a year with no way to dry out was more than it could or should have been expected to endure.

The floor joists were joined to the ledger with clipped 8d ring shank nails that were toe nailed into the ledger. The nails were badly deteriorated with most of the rings on the shanks missing. The end of the joists were rotten. There was no other support for the floor except for a secondary ledger on the side bands of the platform to which the floor ends were nailed.

The only good structure were the 3 6X6 PT post that supported the far side of the deck. The former owner who had the work done said that the post holes were dug by a track-hoe that was being used to clean out the lake while it was drained and that each post has a couple of bags of concrete around them. When we couldn't move the post using a wench chained to a tree we began to suspect that this was going to be harder than anticipated. From someone who was around at the time we learned that the track-hoe took big bites out of the ground, the posts were set and braced and when the guy pouring the wall came along he overfilled the holes.

Using a 2 ton come-along, a Kubota tractor and lots of strong language we managed to get 1 post free of the bottom but were unable to lift it out of the lake.

Obviously time for substantially heavier equipment.

This deck would make a good example of how not to build a deck.

Reply to
swalker