Blocked gutter downpipe

This morning's fun and games.

We have two walls that meet at 90 degrees, one single storey, the other two storey, both have gutters with downpipes leading to a single drain gully, where they are joined by a third pipe, from the kitchen (sink and dishwasher). Both gutters overflow, so downpipes almost certainly blocked. The kitchen waste works fine. I have to admit that this is a job that should have been done last summer ...

So, the gully. Usual raised surround, absolutely stuffed with leaves, mud and general crap. Used a trowel to clear that lot, and saw why the kitchen waste works, but the other two don't. The kitchen pipe goes through a hole in the grate, but the other two terminate above the grate. The open ends of both the downpipes, which terminate below the level of the crud just removed, were stuffed. Kept poking at the end of the two storey downpipe until a tiny amount of water began to trickle, so kept going and suddenly a thick mass of mud and leaves shot out, followed by two storey's worth of the most foul smelling water I have ever encountered, which of course splashed over everything including me.

Oh well. The second downpipe was more stubborn, but much poking with a bent coat hanger eventually achieved the same result. Much flushing to clear the remnants and both gutters now running freely.

Dirty, smelly, but delighted :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Foul water(from the kitchen should not be going into the rainwater drain. The crap from the kitchen has probably blocked a soakaway.

Reply to
harry

That depends upon the system in the area. Where we live, there is a single, combined sewer for foul waste and rainwater and no soakaways except for the newest houses.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Indeed. I was about to point out to Harry that he seemed to have condemned most if not all of the the Victorian housing stock of England (and much that was built later). And Joseph Bazalgette.

Reply to
Robin

Is there a video? Knowing how fast a down spout empties itself when the blockage lets go I think you are are understating things. I've only encountered 4' of down spout and about 5 m of full deepline gutter. One gets very wet, very quickly, even if you know it's going to happen and you run away the moment it starts. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, yes, somewhat understated, but luckily no video :-)

You're right - the plug of s**te came out like a bullet, somewhat swiftly followed by the water in 25' of downpipe. It went *everywhere*, and the stink was unbelievable. Still glad it is fixed, though.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , harry writes

House built 1880-ish, NE Scotland, same system for both. Nothing is blocked beyond the gully itself, and that is clear now.

Don't know why I chose today to do it, really. Well, yes I do. There is a large pile of boxes waiting to go in the loft, and it is too warm for lofts today.

Reply to
Graeme

Our area has Victorian houses (and some much earlier), but most was built in the 1930s.

Even up to the pushing of soakaways of the last few years, new housing in the area still had to be connected to the existing combined sewer system, so no segregation of anything.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Now you need a cage fitted on the gutter just at the pipe entry so more often than not just this has to be cleaned not the whole pipe. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Brian, yes, it probably needs something but, to be honest, it is easier to clean the bottom that use ladders to clean a filter or cage at the top! I am hoping that if I keep the gully area clear at the bottom, there will not be an opportunity for stuff to build up within the downpipe.

Reply to
Graeme

and then he genius who fitted the rainwater system to our house cut the down pipe tight to the grid of the trap. So tight it was impossible to extract the grid to release the blockage.( no shoe he was saving money)

Reply to
fred

You might like my friends website funny stories section.

He was regaling us with the tale of a blocked internal soil pipe in a 3 sto rey office block, which first approach resulted in a sudden downward plunge of a column of ooh nasty. It beat the underground drainage capacity and fo untained up in the ground floor wc pan. He ended up slamming the lid down a nd standing on it while the effluent sprayed out through the gap betwixt pa n and seat.

Reply to
Cynic