Black Friday/ Cyber Monday SSD deals? - X-post

Anyone spotted any outstanding SSD deals?

120 - 240 Gig preferred.

Decided my 60 Gb SSD is just too small for any OS in 2017 (at least any Windows OS).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Oh, and any 1TB external USB drives.

Google is throwing up one at Argos for under £50 but my Googling is often unreliable.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Argh! 2TB drives seem a better deal.

Toshiba

Maxtor

Seagate

All for £69.99 and all USB 3.

Any reason to chose one over another?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. as the price is not far off a grocery shop or a fill up at the fuel pumps, am I spending too much time over a £5 saving?

Reply to
David

Maybe :-)

FWIW, I generally start with a combination of Google/Shopping and Ebuyer. On ebuyer, sort by price.

Reply to
RJH

Thanks, but I ditched eBuyer over the way they (don't) handle returns.

Fool me once, shame on you etc.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

My 120GB SSD is half root partition (23% full) and half swap partition which probably gets used only rarely. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

I thought the sweet spot for USB HDD was around 4TB nowadays (although I've not checked very recently).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Perhaps time for the following technologies to make a reappearance?

Microsoft DriveSpace / Doublespace,

Stacker?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

There is always a balance between bangs per buck and total bucks.

£69.99 for a 2TB drive I can wear.

Ummm....£109.99 for a 4TB Seagate.............another £40 for another

2TB....are you sure you aren't a double glazing salesman?

Or a divorce lawyer?

This will be for an external drive for a satellite decoder/recorder with a single tuner i.e. you can't record and watch unless you are on the same mux. My one has, I think, 500 GB. This is pretty good and only needs the occasional clear out. I think the Virgin Tivo also has 500 GB, with 3 tuners. 2TB is probably over provision. 4TB will never be used to record programmes efficiently.

I don't think I have a suitable 2.5" external drive to swap for it, either.

You were supposed to be helping, dammit!!!

Still, that is not bad value if I can find another use.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Disk compression isn't much use nowadays since most large files will be already compressed almost as much as they can: video files, JPEGS, PDF, MP3... That just leaves executables, text files (including web pages), WP and spreadsheet work files...

Reply to
Max Demian

On win10 you can compress folders if you want to. Its under properties->advanced.

Reply to
dennis

Argos are still advertising a lot of stock where they have sold out and/or only one outlet in the north of Scotland has stock for pick up or delivery (delivery to the N Scottish store only). Last Sunday a friend ordered on-line a in-stock items to be delivered to the local store the next day - Argos staff now have no idea if the items will ever arrive at the store nearly a week later.

I purchased something from Currys/PC World last Monday (I was given some vouchers) and was surprised that they didn't push any of the extras when I stated quite early on that I just wanted the item and nothing else. However that was the good part of the experience - their point of sales software/hardware is crap. One machine crashed as my details were entered. The sales assistant and I moved to a second terminal where the terminal refused to boot correctly. On the third terminal my details were entered and then the question was raised about verifying the £50 vouchers. Apparently, previously the staff had to phone to verified voucher serial numbers for any voucher above £20 but evidently something has changed and staff can only do this via email now. So twenty minutes later, after a couple of phone calls by the 3 senior staff members now serving me they admitted that their verification system was unusable. They then took the vouchers on 'trust'. I suspect this is indicative of an organisation about to fail.

Reply to
alan_m

Won't gain much space as I have indicated.

Reply to
Max Demian