Bit Off Topic: Re Guard Dog

A neighbour the other end of the road has a Dobermann Pinscher guard dog which he keeps in the back garden to protect several cages of expensive small parrots, which he breeds.

I'm told that he normally does not invite people in to see the birds, but one day for some reason he invited me in. The dog went mad with its barking and seemed really aggressive towards me. The owner had to keep getting between me and the dog.

He kept telling the dog to be quiet, but it would not. Then the owner went to the nearby water tap and filled up the dog's drinking bowl. Without a pause the owner just threw the dog's water on the floor. He then went and did the same thing once again. When I asked him why he had filled the drinking bowl and thrown it on the floor he carefully avoided the question.

Another neighbour told me that he had been told the dog was trained in the Soviet Union and was imported here into the U.K.

I asked him a second time why he threw the water on the floor and he again avoided the question.

As I don't know about dogs, I wonder if anyone has any idea why he threw the dogs water on the floor? Thanks.

Reply to
J Stone

Just out of interest, did it change the dog's behaviour?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

The dog knows the only way it gets water is from the tap. By throwing away 'valuable' water the owner is reminding the dog he has power over whether the dog gets any or not, so the dog realises it'd better do as the pack leader says?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The guy is Barking, the dog just barks.

Reply to