Dog Crap on Front Yard

I don't think there's anything that can be done about this except move, but sometimes I'm surprised by the answers on newsgroups.

Our street faces a large apartment complex. The arrangement of the few houses on our street create only small front yards -- about 20' deep by the width of the lots (80'?). The houses are about 25 years old. The apartment complex was built a few (3 ?) years ago.

On the far side of the complex is a boulevard and on each end is another complex so the only area with grass these people can reach is our small lawns. So, our lawns have become the toilet for the *many* tenants with dogs. They all walk the dogs down our street and stop on the lawn for a dump. The lawns become covered with dog turds.

If I happen to be outside they usually pass on to a lawn a couple of doors down. On the rare occasion when the owner ignores the fact that I'm standing right there, I say something like "Please don't mess my yard." Usually they either don't reply or say something like "Go F**k yourself," or give an indifferent "OK."

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Spray the dog with a water hose. If that does not work, spray the owner. Your property so you can water the lawn any time you please.

Shotgun would work better but would get you in trouble. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

im sure your city has an ordinance for this, contact your police dept. Tickets and fines can be wriiten. Talk to the apt bldg lanlord.

Reply to
m Ransley

Depending on where you live, there are probably laws against the dog owners and they can be arrested and fined for not cleaning up their dog's messes. Call the police and ask.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Legal steps are always the first thing to consider, at least find out what is and isn't on the books. Then a simple sign mounted somewhere, asking not to let the dog mess on your property. I realize this might seem silly given the response that you have been getting, but it serves the purpose of notifying the offending parties. That way if legal is the only way, you made the first step. Blocking off access to the lawn area is an option. I do like the response from Ace, but only as a last resort, but I might modify it somewhat, like bag it and put it on the hood of their car.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Sucks, but this kind of thing is best approached by applying solutions that are in your control (yeah, people should grow up, or maybe the law should do something about it, but don't hold your breath...)

Depending on where you are, change your front lawn to a gravel lawn (if you're in Arizona you'd know what I mean), or an ivy lawn. Alternatively, consider a nice thick privet hedge all around your front lawn. Or a picket fence. Something to make your front yard inaccessible or useless for the purpose of dog pooping.

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty

Bagging it is bring too nice. Just dump it on their car or in front of their door. I would try talking to the landlord first. It would be better if you can get everyone from down the street. Ask if he can tell the people with dogs if they can't clean up after their pets or they will be asked to remove the pets or leave. He can do something, unless he's a dumb ass also. This is really too bad. Some people are just jerks. My parents pick up after their dog. I had a guy next door that let his cat shit in my yard. I said something to him and he gave me shit back. I tried to be nice about it, so the last thing I said was is if I catch your cat in my yard I will tie a brick to it and toss it in the lake. That took care of the problem... Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

Reply to
Kahlua53

Why people like you post stupid questions like this amazes me. The solution is nothing anyone can do on this newsgroup. If you cant get along with your neighbors, call the police !!!!! Otherwise fence your yard or move .....

Reply to
me

[snip]

Years ago right here in Arizona I had a neighbor with a dog that was fond of chasing my wife and daughter (no fences... this was 40 years ago).

Went next door, told the neighbor, next time dog is in my yard, BANG!

Dog instantly was chained up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Civil War

I had my kid at a park once and this guy let his dog shit right in front of where my kid was playing. I raised hell with the bastard and he followed me home. When I tried to chase him off he hit me with a baseball bat. I had him arrested and charges but he turned out to be a cop. Appointed by Ronald Reagan.

Cops treat their dogs better than kids.

Now when dogs shit in my yard I just have to clean it up. The cops put guns to my head and invaded my property without warrant many times.

One more maggot got killed today. THats GREAT!!!

Death to the christian government

You are full of shit. No law is in the US

Civil War is the answer.

US constitution says the right to bear arms against unreasonable search seizure and invasion of privacy.

More cops should be shot.

THe police are the ones doing it

Civil War is the Answer

One more maggot got shot today. THats GREAT

Keep some Cannon Crackers (large firecrackers that make a BIG BOOM) near your front door. When a dog is depositing doodoo on your lawn, simply light a couple and throw them at the the dog. Most dogs will be so scared they will never bother your lawn again. Whatever works! Des

Reply to
Des Perado

Reply to
Des Perado

So, he's gonna - what - go to the doors of each and every tenant in that apartment complex, then sit shotgun on his front steps 24/7? In some situations that would work (where my father lives in rural Texas, there are no leash laws, and certain such problems often get solved quickly and anonymously with a 22, and honestly I don't have any problem with that), but I don't think it would be very applicable or helpful for the situation of the original poster.

The OP can try talking to the apartment manager and some of the tenants, and/or go through the police, with my idea as a Plan B in mind - nothing to lose. As long as he's reasonable and wise enough about it not to get worse problems from the apartment tenants than dog shit.

But I can't get past the image in my mind of his being the nonchalant guy with a nice privet hedge around three sides of his yard, bemusedly watching his neighbors curse at every little brown pile.

Banty (guess I'm just hoplessly practical)

Reply to
Banty
[snip]

Just make it a hedge with thorns ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

If it's illegal (ie find out), post a sign and put a fake (try the deterrent approach first) camera on your front porch.

Mat

Reply to
Mat and Suzy

I'd go along with that :-)

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Every couple of weeks, put up a realistic-looking sign that says "Pesticide Application. Harmful to Children and Pets. Keep Off The Grass"

That should not only keep the dogs away, but should also keep noisy kids away too.

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven Litvintchouk