What is in B&Q's caustic soda?

What is in B&Q's caustic soda? Well, caustic soda of course you foolish boy! But the reason I ask is that it is labelled "concentrated caustic soda" which makes me think it may be mixed with an inert filler. If it was _just_ caustic soda, I'd expect it to be labelled just "caustic soda". Any thoughts?

Reply to
Peter Percival

Water probably, pure sodium hydroxide is a solid.

I don't follow your logic though, I would expect something described as "concentrated" to be stronger than the same thing without "concentrated" in the description.

Reply to
Graham.

Would you like to buy some concentrated gold? Only 2x the price and you can smelt it with 10x its weight of copper to get 12x the amount of 24 carat gold.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Thursday 19 September 2013 16:05 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Wouldn't that yield 2.18 carat gold?

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, it's special concentrated 264 carat gold

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is solid.

I wouldn't, though I would expect it to be stronger than the same thing called "dilute". Suppose you were buying table salt at a supermarket: wouldn't you expect it just to be called "table salt" not "concentrated table salt? Sugar, just "sugar", and so on? Washing up liquid might well be called concentrated meaning that it's got less water in than stuff not so labelled. But what has "concentrated caustic soda" (solid, remember) got less of than just "caustic soda"?

Mind you, I might be mad.

Reply to
Peter Percival

Its probably mixed with that there dark matter the scientists are lookin for!

Surely if its concentrated it would be in a smaller box. Perhaps it needs some kind of preservative or knowing how it pongs, perhaps its nice spring flowers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

bleach fr example, is a solution of IIRC sodoum hypochl;rite in water. Concentrated bleach is IIRC teh same but with less water.

Typically caustc soda crysals are 'pure' caustic soda plus wahetever resisue is left from the chemical process used to produce it - i.e. about 99% plus - again I am rusty here - but I think it absorbs water from the air etc in 'pure form' - a bit of water

IIRC again you CAN get caustc soda in solition, which is the esame dissolved in more, or less water. And is therefore less or lesser concentrated..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps if they are normally in the business of diluting it prior to sale, they use "concentrated" in the sense of "full fat"

Reply to
John Rumm

See if you can find the COSSH data sheet. It ought to be available.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You're very optimistic about marketing

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You know how orange juice that is made from concentrate is reconstituted back to 100% juice?

If it was reconstituted with less water, could it legally be sold as (say) 110% orange juice?

Reply to
Graham.

Peperami ingredients: 150% pork.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Sausages are apparently allowed to contain more than 100% meat due to some weight being lost from the ingredients during manufacture ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Go read a jam label :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Just to clear that up for goodness knows who. 24 carat gold is 100% or pure, concentrated gold. he other stuff contains hardener which also dilutes it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Actually when a fruit juice in Britain states it is made from concentrate, it means it is preserved in sugar. What concentration it is restored to is anyone's guess as they don't remove the sugar. Not unless you count diluting it with water.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Don't get any of it on your fingers - it can do dreadful things to flesh. If you do get any on your skin, wash it off immediately.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

aw shucks apart from eyes it aint THAT bad.. it just burns, but so do soldering irons.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It takes time to do any damage. You can dip your hands in it as long as you rinse them straight away. Just don't get it inside your gloves

Reply to
stuart noble