Caustic Soda and plastic?

I've only ever mixed this product in a Metal bucket and I need to make a mix for the drain outside, problem is I can find a suitable metal sized container, will mixing it in a plastic mop bucket suffice? There is nothing on the lable to indicate NOT to use it in a plastic container.

Thanks.

Reply to
ben

No prob, just be aware that it can heat up as it dissolves.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

You mean the label stuck to the 'plastic container' the caustic soda comes in...........

Just watch the heat - exothermic reaction?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Yeah! but it only reacts when diluted with water. :-P

anyway this must be S**te because it's not bubbling as I have found in past use with CS.

/remembers next time to go the chemist for it.

Reply to
ben

most buckets can only take 85C, I'd pick a 100C rated one.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

HubbleBubble..toil'n'trouble...let's see if this will get rid of stubble.

Reply to
ben

Do you have an old soup tin at hand. Mix a couple of batches in it and pour them in the drain.

Reply to
BigWallop

Behave, it's a big drain.

/walks off in a huff.

Reply to
ben

You *can* find one? Well use it then!

I keep seeing this these days - does nobody read through what they typed before posting it, or is it something else? I'd think a 'typo' that completely invert the meaning of what you said (even though here the context makes the mistake obvious) was something that you'd notice...

BTW everything I can see on Google says *do not* use metal, *do* use plastic buckets for mixing!

Also put the water in first, then add the Lye, to prevent getting a really really strong solution splashing back at you.

Reply to
PC Paul