Drilling and glueing Jade

I've been asked a question which I thought I would relay into here, as I have no clue of the answer...

My father is trying to convert a couple of jade stones into earrings for my mother. He has the stones which have a flat side for attaching to mountings, and he has the mountings. The mountings have a flat plate with a small bump which is supposed to be glued into a small hole in the jade, which he needs to drill. His first attempt was a 1mm HSS (I think) drill bit, which would bearly even mark the jade. Next he bought a 1mm TCT bit, and after about half an hour of drilling (on and off), it's drilled a 0.5mm deep hole and the bit end is now polished off.

So any suggestions on how to drill such a hole, and would some type of lubricant help?

Also, any comments on glue to use (I think he's intending to use Aruldite).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There are some tips on this type of thing at:-

might also find that dental burrs may do the trick - have a word with your dentist...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Go to ebay, for 10 quid purchase a set of diamond burrs. Use these. Work well, I've used them to drill sapphire, which is much harder than jade. Work best in a dremel, or other high speed rotary tool, but will work OK in a drill, with time.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Personally I'd of gone the Jewllers...much cheaper and less hassle, for the wifes earings.

/women are fussy when it comes to earings. :-)

Reply to
ben

Just after I posted that, he called me back. He sharpened up the TCT bit and tried using water as a lubricant, and it then drilled quite easily. I've never understood the workings of cutting lubricants...

I guessed a diamond bit might be worth trying.

What, and pass over the opportunity for "I need this nice new dremel set for making your earrings"...

My Mum's no exception...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IME they are fussy about everything...................

Dave

Reply to
David Lang